I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod spline
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 06:44PM

Hello, a question/concern on spline for multi piece fly rods. I have read in some books to find the effective spline on a blank to assemble the blank and roll it with some downward pressure on the blank and feel for the hop or roll to its natural curve. My question is that wouldn't it be more effective to roll each section on its own? To me this would make more sense, especially if it is a 3 or more piece fly rod blank. I did this on some inexpensive blanks and they cast very well and accurate for being sort of cheap blanks. Would appreciate any comments since I am new at building rods. Thanks, Bill H.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod spline
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 07:00PM

Bill; If you will go to the FAQ's section above I think all of your questions will be answered.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2007 07:10PM

Yes you would want to find the spine for each individual section. However, you will quickly learn that spine makes little difference in your rod's performance.

Do a search of the archives here on "spine" or "rod spine" and you can read 'till your heart's content.

In the meantime, do as Jim advises and check the FAQs page here.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 11:29PM

bill, you're right, the correct practice would be in checking each section individually. but don't rule out the possibility that those inexpensve blanks may have cast just as well without spining the sections use the term SPINE in your search. spline generally refers to the bamboo rod making process.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 03:56AM

I have a question then. When not using the spline as a alignment guide how do you effectually align the guides? Would not the guides be off center and look like a snake going down a road?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 22, 2007 08:44AM

Bob,

What does the spine have to do with guide placement? The guides are placed on the rod blank. They're aligned by eye or some other means that you contrive. They can't look any more like a snake than the rod blank does. I've seen some crooked blanks, but not quite snakelike.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 09:07PM

I was just being funny about the snake. Unless you were working on a 3 or 4 pcs. rod. Then it could go in any direction.
Thats why I like laying my guides on the curvritue of the blank
Good Weaps Bob

Date: July 22, 2007 09:20PM

I didn't understand what spine has to do with guide alignment. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 08:10AM

The word SPLINE was a typo in Dale Clemens' book for the word SPINE.

And the word spline is used as reference to a piece of bamboo making up a section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster