I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Do Recoils really groove?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2007 12:36AM

Paul Rotkis,

Is the Jann's Flex-lite as light as the Recoils? I ask because the Ti-SIC by Fuji is only a bit heavier. If the Flex-lite is heavier than Recoils, then I'll just go with the Fuji Ti guides. If the Flexlite is as light as the Recoils, then I'd dump the Recoils in a hurry.

Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 17, 2007 01:02AM

Also, can titanium be Ti-Ch coated? If so, Recoils that are coated would be 'da bomb' - light, tough, and quite durable.

Mo

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 17, 2007 01:03AM

Mo...

I think guide size for guide size, they are really close. But to be honest with you, I have not weighed them so therfore I cannot say for sure. But, they are really close if not the same.

Paul

Date: July 17, 2007 02:15AM

Thanks Paul. I need to get a few to weigh. I have all the Recoils. A quick search on Google shows that Titanium's density is 60% of steel. So, it would seem almost impossible for any similar steel guides to be as light as titanium ones. Still....one never know.

Mo

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2007 11:10AM

I have come of the flexlite spin guides I could weigh for you,,, but not sure that's helpful if you are talking snake guides. (?)
Sure,,, should be able to plate with TiN or TiCH, but there aren't many doing that plating for small lots. I was trying to find such a bunch 6 months ago and gave up looking after no instant success locally. Best chance is to find someone doing industrial tool sharpening. Seems when the coating wears and the tool dulls, they strip the coating, resharpen, and replate. I'm still lightly trying to make connections thru my real job to get some diamond deposition plating done on the side...... I know they do it in the lab about 3 miles from me. Looking for a backdoor :-)

Posted by: Mo Yang (67.41.154.---)
Date: July 17, 2007 11:50PM

Dave,

sure. Sounds great - would love to hear how much your Flexlite weights in grams. I have the data for Recoils and we can compare.

if you find someone who can do the plating by all means let me know. Would be interesting.

Mo

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 12:31AM

I don't have the full flexlite set. I used the smallest one for my wrapper. Here's what I have tho,,,, first number is inside ring diameter, second is weight in grams"
8.75 .51
9.96 .76
13.97 1.14
18.55 1.70
22.85 2.45

These were a Netcraft special some months ago. Packet says Flexlite Spin Guide Set 799174

Possible I will be looking around for a plater again soon. I've another project where I might be looking for production tool coatings.

Posted by: Jim Morris (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 18, 2007 01:40AM

I recently put new guides on a friend's GLX 9' six weight which had two Fuji Sic Strippers,recoils up to the tip and an H&H hard chrome hayfork (pretty much the factory setup in Australia). He does a lot of lake fishing, including competitions and tends to favour the same rod in the majority of situations. After approximately 18 months there was visible wear on the tip (as expected), none on the sics (of course) and very obvious grooving on every other guide on the rod - they varied from deep and square near the tip to a noticeable 'bump' towards the strippers. I was a little shocked, because I've replaced guides on a lot of rods and generally you expect a couple near the tip and a couple just up from the strippers, but never the whole lot! I really like Recoils on light blanks, because they take away the least from the blank's 'responsiveness', but anything of 6 weight or above that's going to get a lot of use, I'd go for ceramics - the blank may 'feel' a tad heavier, but you'll get used to it and the guides won't wear out!
Jim.

Posted by: Mo Yang (67.41.154.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 12:56PM

Greetings Dave,

Very helpful. I'm on the road for 10 days and will check when I get back. The inside is in mm right? Sounds quite similar in weight to the recoils actually off the top of my head.

I just wish the Flexlites came in gold colored TiCh coating. That would be rich looking.

Mo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster