I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Take a look at tackletour.com
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 11:36AM

I just finished reading the latest news from Tackletour.com. They were doing short reviews of new rods from some of the major manufacturers and I noticed that more of the major manufacturers were employing more custom features that we've been using over the last few years.

More noticable were the aluminum winding checks that Kistler may be adding to their no foregrip rods and the split grip handles that are on St Croix's Legend series rods. Also Quantum is using Fuji's new ACS casting reel seat on their PT edition rods along with split grips and no foregrips. It looks like "stealth" is comimg into play more than ever. The Shimano Cumura looks like a rod that came directly from a custom builders work bench. And the Airrus brand rod. I had a chance to see and hold one sometime back and that's a rod that even Darth Vader would be proud to own. The handle is integrated into the rod along with a split grip and spiral wrapped guides.

We are seeing a lot of new innovations along with some that the custom builder has been using for quite a few years now come into play in these last two years by the major manufacturers. I think a lot of it has to do with this website,rodmaker.org and Rodmaker magazine. The manufacturers are closely monitoring these pages and listening to what a person wants in a rod be it custom or mass produced and it'll be interesting to see what the next few years bring.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Take a look at tackletour.com
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2007 11:46AM

Most of the major commercial rod companies subscribe to RodMaker. I have to believe they pay attention to trends in the custom rod building world. There really wouldn't be any other reason for them to subscribe.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: July 16, 2007 11:50AM

YOu mean they don't subscribe to see the pretty pictures, lol?

Lance, you left out that Quantaum is also using the VSS Spinning seat on their factory rods. At least now I know (assume) why these reel seats werent' available to rodbuilders until allegedly Late June...Quantaum wanted to be the exclusive user of them at teh ICAST show. I still havent' seen or heard that tehy are available to us.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 01:14PM

"Stealth" has been around a long time, that is what I call the sanded but not finished blanks. You'd be surprised at how many customers are impressed with the "New Stealth Finish". Jesse

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 01:19PM

Billy, I have seen and handled one of the ACS casting reel seats and wasn't impressed with the feel of it. I didn't find it be be comfortable to hold. I haven't seen the spinning version until I went back and looked at the picture of it.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: July 25, 2007 02:39AM

Take a close look at the spinning seats on the Daiwa Steez spinning rods. Looks to me like the VSS seat, but with a different locking nut assembly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster