I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Titanium PST tops Green?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 12:41PM

Anyone else using Fuji Titanium TPST or T-MNST in the SW notice they turn green? I know they have a hard time welding Titanium, and these 2 tips both require welding, so I'm assuming that the GReen is whatever material they used to weld the Ti together. Anyone know for sure? I'll also go ut on a limb and assume anyone using a T-FST without the braces will not have this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Titanium PST tops Green?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 15, 2007 12:47PM

Billy,
Is it a green of corrosion or just discoloration? either way I would think that the titaniums should be experiencing this.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Date: July 15, 2007 02:16PM

I honestly cannot tell what it is. I agree, whatever it is it shouldn't be there. I'm curious if I'm the only one...maybe it's the NY water, lol.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 15, 2007 02:32PM

Don't know too much about that NY water but I am sure that what you are seeing is some type of corrosion. If you could possibly put up a pic maybe we could pinpoint it a little better. I know that many of the electronic assemblies that I deal with have that type of coloring on them when we have salt water intrusion into some of the aircraft panels.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: July 15, 2007 03:04PM

I just checked mine and it does have some green color on it , I can't tell what it is but it was not there when I put it on the rod. The Titan guides look great no corrosion or discoloration. It isn't the NY water this has only been used in the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic.

Date: July 15, 2007 03:12PM

Will put up pics tomorrow from work. Titans to my knowledge do not have Tip tops. Guides are fine, it's just the top.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 04:03PM

If there is a heat affected zone near the weld in Titanium it is possible to have a blue/green" colored band a certain distance away from the weld. When some metals, stainless, cool improperly without control this narrow band will be sensitized and is typically called blue blush. If you can get a good close up picture it can be visually determined if it is general surface stuff like copper sulfate precipitation or a true heat affected zone. I looked at the Fuji site and there is no way to tell what specific titanium alloy is involved or if there is a added chromium/nickle inhancement used like American Roller uses on their stuff. For an "artsy type" guy you sure use high end stuff and have a good eye! This is what typically happens to most of the stainless plated stuff that uses a copper priming coat to insure a good bond with a high chrome content layer. I have four new TPST here and no green but they have not been in saltwater either - there is no heat affected blue blush band on the ones I have. Anxious to see your pics -

Date: July 15, 2007 06:58PM

I don't know about all that metal stuff you posted, but it does look similar to when a Copper pipe begins to turn green. I'll actually try to post clear pics for you tomorrow, lol.

Arts & high end - when I was figuring everything out I was all into Alconite, as the cost allowed me to tinker around and build a few rods which I Was able to see how certain handle & guide configs actually worked for me when I fished. Once I came up with something I was comfy with and confidant worked, I stepped up and started using better guides. IT makes NO SENSE for anyone to spend hors on tricked out guide wraps, only to have them rust or to have the epoxy amber in a short period of time - which was teh case on all of my rods at one point .Fortunately Aftcote & THreadmaster came out and took care of teh Ambering issue, and I was able to sell enough rods tha tI could afford Titanium. I don't expect Titanium to be a Silver version of a Gold guide after seing use in the SW though, but to be honest - there is no other choice.

Date: July 16, 2007 12:22AM

FWIW, been on the Photo BOard all weekend. Right now there are 200 people on, it's a Sunday night at 12:15 Eastern time, and ALL the boards I've been on are DEAD slow. Something is not right at all.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: July 16, 2007 08:22AM

Here's the pictures of the "Titanium" tops: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I had more pics of old tops which were still perfect, and another one which looked exactly the same as this one but none of them came out in focus. I guess using my tripod would have been beneficial, huh?

At $15-ish per tip top, I ain't happy. Especially since I have about a dozen more in stock from this same order.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2007 10:39AM

Everything is right. I have a log file of each person or IP address that views the board. It shows each one individually while they are connected to the site. The numbers are correct. This photo page gets a ton more traffic than another other rod buildng photo page, same with the forum.

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: July 16, 2007 04:36PM

Billy I used the Titan guides but wanted to stay with titanium on the tip so I used the Fuji tip with it and that is what has some green tint on it, not as bad as your picture so maybe it is taht NY water. lol.

Date: July 16, 2007 06:30PM

Got an email from a guy in New Zealand just now. He reminded me that what we consider the middle of the night, he considers noon.

I didn't even stop to consider that most of the people in the world live in the Eastern Hemisphere. Makes sense that the board would get so much traffic at what we think of as the middle of our night.

I suspect we're all guilty of "exceptionalism."

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2007 01:37AM

All my Fuji titanium tips that have been in use for many years in the Hawaiian salt air are in as perfect shape as the first day I got them. Same for my titanium guides except for the ones I bent. Some of the "titanium finished/coated" tips and guides from another manufacturer do look like that though.

Date: July 17, 2007 05:03AM

MArk, I assure you these are Fuji Titanium. I have teh coated IC tops from Fuji, as well as Chrome plated. They changed somethign with how tehy make these this year. I'm in teh process of figuring out how to contact someoen at Fji.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: July 17, 2007 10:04AM

Billy -- Contact at Anglers Resource, here is the U.S. -- Carl Haber -- Ph. # 251-943-4491 -- I would think a phone call would be much better than an e-mail.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: July 17, 2007 03:55PM

Bob,

The problem is that Carl doesn't seem to have much influence over Fuji's home office decisions on what to make or what changes may or may not be any good.

I've always done better by going direct to Fuji.

I have no doubt that Carl will certainly replace any pieces anyone isn't happy with. But beyond that it's nice to be able to speak with the factory people. Trouble is, their English is only marginally better than my Japanese.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster