I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
rubber bands for guide placement
Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:07PM

Years ago some suppliers handled very small rubber bands to sllip
over the blank while placing guides, After wrapping the guide you
simply snipped them off. Does anyone still handle them?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rubber bands for guide placement
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:29PM

Hi John. I don't know of any suppliers. I use the black rubber tubing for aligning bow sights on small diameter blanks. You can get one for about a buck at an archery shop or good sporting goods store. Cut them up with a razor blade,will make about 100 or so. Also, fuel lines for model airplanes are good. Surgical tubing for large diameter blanks.This stuff is cheeeap.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:36PM

Like Jay said, You can pick up vinyl tubing in various diameters at any hobby shop. It's used for fuel lines, etc on model airplanes and is very inexpensive. A few feet, a cutting board and a razor blade and you have a couple years worth. I always slide them on (with a few extras) on the blank before I glue on the tip. Makes guide placement/adjustment a snap! Just touch with a razor and they fly off

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:37PM

There is a Scuba Dive place which sells teh tubing. I haven't tried it, but was recommended by Ed Smith here on teh board. If you search teh archives you should be able to find the name of the place.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:42PM

John,

I’m not sure who has the rubber bands you’re looking for but I use surgical tubing.
Most of the time you can find the tubing at your local tackle shop if not check with the sponsors at the left.

Lynn

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:47PM

Try velcro cable ties. That's what I've been using. I wrap them on above the guide on the narrower section, They then tighten nicely when I slide them down in the area I want to hold the guide feet. I think mine were originally 8 inches log. I cut them to about 3 inches, which is the most I've needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 09:17PM by Dave Hauser.

Posted by: Danny Bui (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 08:27PM

You can get it @ Wal-mart in the hair @ beauty area .It cost $2 for a whole bag.Good luck

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 09:20PM

John,
For a discount on building his fly rod i got bags and bags from my sons Orthadontist. He also gave me about 300 pair of suture scissors which some will attest to as I was handing them out last year at the big show. Those suture scissors as a side point are the best they are like razors cutting braided line and thread with ease. Anyway talk to the local orthadontast they use them for braces in many sizes and hand them out. Im sure he will sell them or even give them to you. Billy

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:43PM

I got a couple of bags at the local Orthodontist. The call them "elastics" and they are used for keeping dental braces tight.
I offered to pay for them but they didn't really have pricing so they just let me have them.

They work pretty well.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:49PM

Just wondering, have any of you tried the Flex Coat guide foot adhesive. The stuff is so quick and easy, and you can get the hang of it in probably 5 guides - good stuff and easier than anything else.

Just my $.02
Marc

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 11:43PM

Maec,

The reason that I use the rubber bands instead of adhesive is because I never know the final guide placement until the rod is in a rod holder on my bench and a static test is performed. With the rubber bands, I can have the rod flexed and easily move the guides around until I get the line path that I want and can even test cast if I want and make guide adjustments "on the fly" I don't think that I could do that if my guides were glued on.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:14AM

Billy - if you have a spare pair of the scissors, I'll take one or two. Please just let me know the price plus shipping.

Meanwhile, we use a milspec 1/4" tape for placing guides. Quick, easy, and no residue. But I don't know what the civilian equivalent would be.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 12:15AM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.247.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:33AM

I occasionally use the hobby shop fuel line tubing and dental bands, but I generally prefer to use blue masking tape strips out of old habit. Tried the guide adhesive and didn't like it. Like Mike, I like to be able to move them around. Never got the knack of locating them at a first whack.

Your email is hidden. If you don't have any local sources, I would be happy to send you a 6-12" section of .125" ID tubing. Shoot me your address and I'll send you a chunk that should keep you in business for a few rods at least.

Posted by: Tim Sullivan (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 09:45AM

J. Stockard Fly fishing has them; 100 for $2.65

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 09:46AM

I also use surgical tubing. Just snip it into sections that are about 1/8" wide.

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 01:50PM

I have tried the tape and many other things, the other day i went to the dollar store and purchased a bag of rubber bands for a $1 I also pickup some rubber tubing to use with the rubber bands has been working great.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 12, 2007 10:47AM

I just use dollar store assortments. When I put them on, I drop the loop over the ring, pull it to the opposite side and around the bottom of the rod, and loop it back over the ring in the opposite direction. That way I can just remove them without cutting. If I don't have one short enough to hold the guide tight, there is usually one that can be doubled and do the job.

On very small diameter blanks, I sometimes have to double one over a second or third time. but can usually make them work.

Posted by: Mike Mrosko (---.66.res.logixcom.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 03:11PM

I use the model airplane fuel tubing also, but I push a piece of rubber band through the short piece of tubing, leaving a loop on one end. That way you can tighten and loosen the clamp. As you are wrapping the guide, you can touch it with your eXacto, and it falls off.

I use the model airplane rubber bands, the ones they use to hold on the wings. #57, I believe. I can get 3 clamps per rubber band, and have been reusing the tubing for quite some time.

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 04:41PM

Spinnerbait rubber band collars or rubber band jig collars is what I have used in the past.

Posted by: Drew Smith (---.gorge.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 01:08AM

Elastic sewing thread works great. Sewing section of Wal Mart, or JoAnne Fabrics. $1.50 per spool. Two loops and an overhand knot - maybe a few wraps if it is a really big guide.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster