I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color for plum blank
Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.72.17.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:25PM

I am going to build a rod for a friend and he wants a plum colored blank, question is what color guides and thread would look good with this color blank. I was thinking gold guides and brown/gold thread, any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color for plum blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:49PM

Some times the simplest answer is the best one ... why don't you consider "translucent" wraps that disappear into the blank. Use a regular nylon or silk thread a shade or two lighter than the blank - apply no CP and it will appear to meld into the color of the blank itself. If he likes plum, he will like having his color of choice "unadulterated". I would think that Chrome guides would be the best match, paired with a Fuji Soft Touch reel seat - that Chrome beauty ring makes for a nice touch.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 11:08PM

I just did a plum colored rod last month and used holographic guides and reel seat. I wrapped with multiple colors (gold, green, blue, red) of highly metallic thread arranged to accent the changing colors in the guides. I'm happy with it. People take it out in the sunlight and just stand there and stare at it while turning the rod to make the colors pop out. They have a lot of fun just playing with the thing.

Now I'm looking for a good reel with holographic coloring for the rod. Casting reel...it is a spiral wrap casting rod. Any ideas?

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 11:15PM

Quantum Energy PT ... holographic as all get out.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:06AM

I built a spinning rod on a Pac Bay Plum blank, and I used Gudebrod Cobalt (50) to wrap the AmTack Chrome/Holographic guides, and I used Gudebrod Goldenrod (209) for trim bands and inlays. I did an open butt wrap with the goldenrod predominant, with cobalt accent. I think it looks really sharp. You might think about that combination of colors.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 12:01PM

I did a plum CTS with deep maroon, red trim bands, and no CP. Conservative, but nice looking. /s/Bob

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 04:47PM

Pac Bay's ruby red thread with CP is really nice. You can use gold, silver, or black guide frames, and match the trim bands to the frames. The black guides go with gold or silver.
Pac Bay rose wood seats look great with this if it's a spinning rod.

Have fun,
Marc

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.72.17.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 06:21PM

Thanks for the replys guy's, still not quite made up my mind but you have given me a lot of ideas. The guy wants it to really stand out so I will have to do some metalic for sure just not completely sure of the colors.
Thanks, Rob

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 06:44PM

If you want to try a color combination that's a bit unique and out of the ordinary, try Gudebrod gunmetal gray (with CP) and a very thin trim band of metallic gold. I've also used gunmetal gray, a very thin band of metallic black, then tipped with a little white/gold trimar. I probably have a photo or two I can share. Send me an email if you're interested.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:22AM

**The guy wants it to really stand out **

Hot pink goes with purple, and it would definitely stand out!
Silver metalic
Sulky Holoshimmer in lavender, light pink, purple, dark pink, fushia, and/or silver.

Yeah,,, I'm thinking silver guides.

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:15PM

I am getting ready to start on a pink blank with met lime green and silver met. I think its going to be really nice. Its for my better half and better yet she thinks its going to be really nice lol

Posted by: Rob Puskas (75.117.91.---)
Date: July 13, 2007 05:24PM

Sam Stoner,
I would like for you to e-mail those pic's, that would be great, it does sound like a good combination. Thanks, Rob
E-mail to fishnuts@windstream.net

Posted by: Rob Puskas (75.117.91.---)
Date: July 13, 2007 09:12PM

Sent you an e-mail Sam, thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster