I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Under wraps
Posted by: Greg Banducci (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 08:42PM

I am building a inshore rod 7' 6" long, and it will have fourteen pound test. Do I need, or is it recommended that I put wraps of thread on the blank before I attach the guides? If so would size D thread work for over and under wraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Under wraps
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2007 08:59PM

There is really no reason to use underwraps. If you decide you want to for cosmetic reasons, I'd use the smallest and finest thread I could, size 00 or A. Overwraps could then be made in A, or even D. I'd stay away from D for use on underwraps.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:14PM

No D for underwraps. I like the looks on double foot guides, but for single foot guides leave them off. Just make sure you are properly prepping your guide feet.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:25PM

I do inshore rods to 50# rating without underwraps, no issues at all. They are really just cosmetic with today's components. Definitely stay with A size thread, your wraps will look much better. Greg, I notice you are in Tampa Bay - if you want/need a lesson or two, I can accommodate and you will greatly accelerate your learning curve plus reduce your early mistake quotient.

Posted by: Paul Gerdtz (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:37AM

Hey Greg
i like using under wraps
but i only use an a thread loke the look an =d not alot of weight gain
Bent Rods

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 09:57AM

If you like the look of underwraps, then maybe you could use a false underwrap to save weight.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

NCP thread
Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:02PM

Lately I've had trouble finding NCP thread in bigger spools. Is this because of Gudebrod
phasing out NCP or some other reason. Where can I find it?

Posted by: Greg Banducci (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:14PM

Jim that would be great I could use help. I live in N. Tampa Lutz to be exact. Contact me. vito150@tampabay.rr.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 07:22PM by Greg Banducci.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:36AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 12:38AM by Russ Pollack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster