I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Small blanks and gluing grips
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 01:23PM

On many ultralites, the blank dia. is less than 0.250" by the time you get to the foregrip section. I usually build up two small spacers with 1/4" masking tape to center the grip, then epoxy it well.

Anyone have any better or different ways around this? I like to use a lot burl cork rings, which I have not seen in inside dia's other than 0.250".

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small blanks and gluing grips
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 01:53PM

Yep ... buy some of Andy's cork strips and make your own grips completely from scratch. Then you can make the holes smaller to accommodate.

Here is a link to Andy's post regarding these materials - they were available as of June 1st ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink)
Date: July 09, 2007 02:09PM

Just a comment, don't leave too big a "void" between your tape arbors or you invite a potenial for cracking the cork grip.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2007 02:45PM

Use a spiralled wrap of heavy rod wrapping thread or nylon cord instead of tape. This will support the foregrip better and be more inpervious to the elements over the years.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 03:34PM

or use flexible mesh drywall tape.

eric
fresno, ca

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 03:38PM

You can order Andy's cork undrilled. I have the same problem building ice fishing rods (most blanks are around 1/8" diameter).

Posted by: Mike Andreasen (69.241.124.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 03:43PM

I was wondering something along the same lines. I understand the responses - but in order to turn anything on my lathe I have to slide the items onto my mandrel, which is 0.25. Are there mandrels with smaller diameters out there? And if so - are they specialized to a particular lathe or can I get one that has a universal fit?

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 05:13PM

Mike, I make my own mandrels, and yes there are smaller size material available, 3/16ths would be about as small as I would go, and I would use drill rod. You can get it from most metal machine shops and if you are not able to drill the end holes they probably would do it for you. On the ice rods I use masking tape for arbors. Galen Briese

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:14AM

I've done quite a bit of this, and here's what I've done. If the gap is very little, I first get a water break free surface on the blank, then just wrap "A" thread to take up the space. The Rod Bond will soak into one later of "A" thread adequately to provide a really good bond. If it's more space than that, I do a wrap of "D" thread, then coat the threads with whatever cheap epoxy I have handy--usually Devcon 30 minute--and let dry. Then, I do another wrap of thread over that. If the second wrap of thread is enough, then I go ahead and Rod Bond. If not, I do the Devcon again, etc.

It's a little time consuming, but I feel like my final product is bonded to the blank forever. And, thread and epoxy are fairly cheap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster