I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Billy Vivona`s rod challenge
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 10:24PM

Was going to build myself a fly rod for this(still will but later)but got an order for a bass casting rod to be given as a gift to a Navy officer.The blank I am using is a Loomis Mag bass MB843(I think,have it in stock but not in front of me now).I`m open to suggestions as what to do and what questions to ask the fisherman to make it the best rod he ever fished.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Billy Vivona`s rod challenge
Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2007 07:06AM

Fred , you may want to think about using a CTS blank , we have had comment after comment from our customers about them being the finest rod they have ever fished with .

Robert

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 04, 2007 06:08PM

Fred:

Couple of quick ideas (probably obvious): Navy blue wraps with metallic gold trim. Also get a gold pin (emblem of the Navy Officer Corp) and inlay on an epoxy ramp; or into fore grip. Also you can get a similar but larger, enameled (and circular) gold pin trimmed in Navy blue that would make a suitable butt cap if it was inlaid.

If you are interested, and you can't get this stuff through your customer, let me know and I'll get it for you.

Happy Fourth of July, RON. Whoops! Is the recipient of this gift a commissioned officer or a Chief Petty Officer? Big difference, different emblems... different trim; etc,.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 04, 2007 06:54PM

May I also add weave the Navy emblem on the blank with the Eagle and Anchor. Also a a weave his speciality rating
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 05, 2007 12:13AM

Flank the Navy emblem (whether you weave it or use a pin or decal) with the specialty rating (stripes) fore and aft.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 12:13AM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 05, 2007 01:16AM

Fred,
I built a similar rod for a friend of mine that picked up Chief finally. I took the tie clasp that they wear and inlaid it into the handle as well as doing a small weave for him. I have built on the CTS and it is a superb blank, I think yhat he would be very satisfied with it.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 05, 2007 02:44AM

FRED;

Is this a retirement gift? Still need to know if this is for a Commissioned Officer (a rank, no rate) or a Petty Officer (enlisted). You do not want to mix their emblems on the same rod.
RON.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 05, 2007 03:17AM

Good point Billy
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster