I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Embedding penny in butt cap
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 05:25PM

Want to embed a penny in a rubberized cork disk (for butt cap). Can forstner a 3/4" hole to make the bed but should I cover the penny with LS or FC after I've Rod Bonded it in place? Will LS or FC affect the penny over time? Any suggestions on sealing this penny in place so it keeps its 2007 luster?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Embedding penny in butt cap
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 06:02PM

The search function has a bunch of posts regarding coin inlays and is a great tool, a place to look first, IMHO: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 24, 2007 06:20PM

I put coins or pins in almost all of my grips and what I do Epoxy the coin in place and set the grip on end and completely fill the space with Threadnaster. Before TM, I used LS. with good results. Personally, I wouldn't use FC due it's yellowing

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 10:08PM

Ditto to what Mike said. I too inlay something into almost all my rubberized butt ends. I just got done inlaying a cool looking button (thanks JoAnn Fabrics!) in one rod and one of the pewter mini-bonefish in another. Anything you can fit in there, you can inlay :-) On the mini-bonefish, I recessed a hole bigger than the bonefish's length using a forstner bit, and painted the interior with some black metallic glitter paint. Stuck the bonefish in and filled in with LS Supreme (still using it up before I try TM :-) It turned out cool - even got my wife to stop, look at it, and go WOW! Pennys look good, also foreign coins are neat - I have some Irish heritage, so I have used an Irish coin in a couple of my own rods, just a neat touch. Or a coin from the person's birth year is good too... Sky's the limit!!

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 24, 2007 10:58PM

I have also inlayed many pennies and other items into the butt piece. For the pennies I have evolved to this method: Trace the penny, carefully ream out that area (from the center out to the tracing mark) using a small round reaming bit and a dremel tool, polish the penny, put a dab of 5 min TM gel in the cut out , put the penny in aligned with the handle the way I want, clean any excess gel quickly with denatured, let set overnite, level the butt piece carefully, drip and wick a coat or two of TM epoxy finish over it. In addition, if you choose to do two coats of TM, you can put a feather inlay on top of the first coat of TM after it is dry. ( I often put the first name initial with a feather, on the penny, especially if it is for a kid). Takes a little bit of time but hey; if it didn't it wouldn't be 'Custom"; the Wally World rods would have pennies in them and the golf courses would be loaded with even more guys. LOL I may post a penny-feather inlay photo soon. I can do inlays but the photos and computer uploading is still a slow go for me. Give it shot one way or the other. I am sure you'll do a fine job if you don't get in a hurry.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 08:54AM

From de Swamp - How do you clean a penny? Take one drop of Tabasco or any other red hot sauce in a bottle and put one drop on the dirty old thing. Wait about five minutes and wipe it off with a paper towell - new penny shine shine and will not tarnish. Keep one bottle in the shop for pennies and one in the fridge for the gumbo! Keep the Tabasco away from the George Harris Pins!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 11:24AM

Why is that Bill?

DR

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 01:20PM

I have been using Flexcoat for covering and casting grips ,hozels, butt caps etc. since 1992. I have gotten rods in for repair from those early years and the finish does not "YELLOW" enough to be a problem, In any case a butt cap is going to get so scratched up any color change is not going to matter. Jesse

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 01:26PM

DR - the Tobasco's high acidity gives "Bad To The Bone" and upset stomach!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster