I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Low Profile Spinning guides
Posted by: Tim Sullivan (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2007 02:12PM

I saw a manufacturer's low profile guides being advertised for use on fly, spinning and casting rods. I would really like to use them on my next spinning rod project but my concern is that they will not be aligned as much as the traditional spinning guides with the spinning reel spool. Is this just a marketing ploy and will my casting performance be affected?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Low Profile Spinning guides
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 02:13PM

Might help to tell us what guide?

Date: June 24, 2007 02:17PM

Billy,
Pac Bay Model DPL-Aero Series
Thanks,
Tim

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 24, 2007 02:32PM

Their catalog shows the DPL as a double foot casting guide. What kind of spinning rod are you building that would use casting guides?? Just curious.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 03:49PM

Their website shows them as "Ideal for use as stripper guides on fly, spinning ,and casting rods. " , which may be the problem. I've used them, but only as casting guides and we sell them as casting guides --> []

As low as the ring sits to the blank, I don't think these would do too well as spinning guides. I've used these in spiral casting set-ups as far as the stripper and transition guides, but switch to black frame/blue ring fly guides once I get to the 180's.

Tim, do a search here on "New Concept Set-up" or see the article in the Library on the subject. I think you'd be better off with this layout than the "cone of flight" layout I think you're trying to set up. This can still be done with Black/blue guides, just a different type than you're looking at.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: June 24, 2007 04:09PM

The catalog I just received, states them just as Mark says their website does. I think I will forget about using them for spinning.
Thanks

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.40.132.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 09:08PM

Tim, if you look in the Pac Bay catalog and compare the H1 measurement for the #30 DPL-Aero series with the same mesurent for a TV series you will find the H1 is 11.5 for the DPL and 20.5 for the TV series. For a spinning rod, you want the line from the reel to the guides prior to the choke guide (or intersect point) to form a straight line to the intersect point. This means that you would like to have guides in this area have large H1 and H measurements. From the Choke guide down to the tip you can use smaller and lighter running guides. Single foot guides are ideal for this purpose in my opinion. I like to use V shaped guides on all of my spinning rods. I agree with Mark, look up the New Guide Concept in the Library. This method will help you to build a really good spinning rod (in my opinion).

Mike Blomme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster