I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Thread
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2007 05:06PM

I know that by now, everyone has experienced some sort of disappointment (shortages or discontinuance) of Gudebrod threads.

I am in the same boat and considering a switch to Pac Bay's new thread lineup ... it was available in High Point and I know that quite a few people purchased it at the show and many more since.

Knowing that people have had an opportunity to experiment with it, I would like to hear the various opinions on the product - all three lines ... regular, stay true and metallic.

Thanks much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Thread
Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.155.12.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: June 19, 2007 06:27PM

Hi Jim
Haven't heard form you sence we met at Mud-hole's open house. I have tried the metallic & stay true and I like it. I haven't had the regular but I do like the other 2.
Hope to see you Oct. 9 th
Tight Lines
Bill Rice

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2007 07:17PM

I have used the regular nylon, and think it's great! They have some different colors, and great variations of each.
I now like it better than Gudebrod! Now I would just like to see it in size B.

Marc

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: June 19, 2007 11:14PM

I'VE TRIED A COUPLE ROLLS. THE REGULAR TEAL AND DARK FUCHSIA. I REALLY LIKE THE PAC BAY COLORS AND PLAN TO USE MORE. IT HAS A BEAUTIFUL SHEEN TO IT THAT I SEEM TO LOOSE AFTER APPLYING CP AND EPOXY. COLORS HOLD WELL, JUST WISH I COULD KEEP THAT SHEEN... ANY IDEAS? THANKS,
RON.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 01:02AM

Pretty good stuff.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:35AM

i've used pac bay's size A white in the stay tru form. works fine for me but i use it for trim wraps mainly. i seem to be a fan of pac bay's stuff overall and would use more of their thread except gudebrod has the market cornered right now with most of the vendors i use.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 08:25AM

For those of you that would like to purchase the Pac Bay thread, we are now stocking it in the 100yd spools. We have the Stay True and Regular nylon in size A. We plan on adding the size C, as we start getting more calls for it or could special order the size C for you now. They also offer a 3,000 yd spool, which we special order for folks upon request. You can contact me at 931-684-6164 for ordering. The entire color chart can be viewed at -- www.fishpacbay.com

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 09:00AM

I just finished a rod using regular Red with CP. I very much liked how it wrapped and the final color.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 10:09AM

Jann's now has almost a full supply of size A Pac Bay thread, and DONART I belive has full stock of ALL colors and sizes.

Marc

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 10:27AM

Thanks Guys! I went ahead and called Bob Mc at Custom Tackle and loaded up ... it was a good enough "introductory" deal, that I got EVERY color they make in regular, stay true and metallic. It is MUCH less expensive than Gudebrod, and from what has been indicated here - I think I am going to be very happy. I do like the colors in the chart on the website, they look like quite the selection.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 10:29AM

Another neat offering that Pac Bay has provided, is to purchase the thread assortment boxes. We have sold lots of these assortments. Whether is regular nylon, stay-true or metallic, you can purchase a "Clear" box that contains all of the colors in each particlar size and make up of thread. This is really good to have when a customer is wanting to choose a particular color of thread for his/her rod that they are purchasing. You can just sit the box up on your counter top and being the assortment box is clear, the customer can view all 32 colors of thread in that one clear box and all 12 colors of metallic in a clear box. When you use up a spool from the assortment, you just re-order and replace it. This also helps in another area, storage of thread, for you. The price is also less per spool, when purcahsing the assortments. I have found by speaking with rod builders on follow-up calls, they tell me by placing these assortments out on a counter top for the customer to view, it provides quite an impression to the customer purchasing a rod. Lights their eyes up!! A very simple way to impress your customer.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 06:48PM

Hey Bob
I am very interested in purchasing the assortment of pac bay thread with the boxes. Could you please email me at CajunMarineBBK@aol.com and quote me a price on all the assortments that you have available.
Thanks for your time. This forum has been so informative for me as a newbie I just finished wrapping my first rod today. Even though I dont post I have received several answers to my questions just by reading this forum. Thanks again to all you very knowlegable people for all your help.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster