I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

foil metallic underwrap
Posted by: Anthony Rossillo (24.117.82.---)
Date: August 31, 2002 04:24PM

I am trying to restore some old graphite rods for a customer and he wants them exactly like they were wrapped in the 60s/70s. The wrap that holds the guides on is tight wrapped and then it is wide spaced over some foil. This foil has a sitcky backing and is very thin. Does anyone know what this stuff is and if it is still available? Where?

Thanks in advance.
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: foil metallic underwrap
Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2002 08:58PM

Hi Anthony; I'm not sure, but it may be the same material you can buy for adding to jigs. Many colors, and sounds quite similar to what you've mentioned. Best regards, Pat Doyle

Posted by: Roley DeBoard (204.118.241.---)
Date: August 31, 2002 09:10PM

Check out the craft stores they have many colors of foil tape. It comes on a roll like Scotch tape.

Posted by: Bryan Duke (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2002 01:19AM

I've got some for that same reason. It is the same width as a roll of duct tape, so you can cut it down to whatever width you need. It only comes in silver, it's actually a polished aluminum thats thinner than foil with an protected cover over the adhesive (wich also helps it stay smooth and uncreased or wrinkled) You need to contact a local HVAC installer to find out where it comes from, I stumbled across it by talking to a guy who was stuck at the craft store with his wife. He took me out to his truck and he gave me a partial roll.

Craft shops...
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 01, 2002 02:03PM

Anthony,

I had the same dilemna.

I found some foil in both silver and gold at the craft shop that worked perfectly.

I've not seen this stuff made for rods, but it sure seems to have been popular way back when. I've repaired five or six of them with that wide spaced wrap over the foil design, in both silver and gold foil.

Now, if they'd just bring back that heavier two tone thread....

Good Luck!

Buddy

Re: Craft shops...
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.mclass.broadwing.net)
Date: September 01, 2002 05:23PM

The wide tape that Bryan mentions is Aluminum Duct tape, and can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes. But I warn you, it is quite stiff and thick.

The tape from craft stores is much thinner, and easier to work with. I would certainly look for that before using the aluminuum duct tape.

TH

Posted by: Ed Senft (---.hvi.net)
Date: September 01, 2002 06:18PM

Hi Anthony,
We carry metallic tape for trimbands and underwraps in assorted
colors and widths in addition to Lure tape( 3 sheets- 2"x6").
Ed / Summer Moon (link at left).

Posted by: Brandon Giles (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 21, 2021 05:14PM

Hey! ... *scratches neck* Do you guys still have some of that metallic tape or know where to find it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster