I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Feather Obsession
Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.179.123.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 12, 2007 03:20PM

Feathers it sounds easy enough, well I fell into that deep dark hole of a feather obsession.

For the last few weeks, more like months, I have been collecting, buying, begging and looking at birds in a different way. I have been spending countless hours on the computer searching, reading, looking. I see some of the feather work that Terry Henson has done and oh my god I go nuts. Terry that is some absolutely gorgeous work you do.

So I got the feathers. Now I'm starting to try to do a couple of what I would think would be simple inlays on a piece of scrap blank. Well I'm finding out it's not that simple. I know I need to practice, practice, practice. I read all that I could find to help and found a fair amount but there are still some tricks or tips I'm missing.

I am not the fly fisherman I live on Florida's west coast. I know most use feathers that imitate fly patterns for there inlays that's fine and looks great. I have a thing about parrots and other exotic birds. Any way that shouldn't matter much only that I'm finding out that not all feathers are created equal. Most parrot feathers are stiff and don't like to lay down around the rod. On the other hand pheasant are quite limp and wrap easily and also tend to be transparent.

So I know in past issues of RodMaker Magazine there are, were some articles on feathers. I can't afford to buy a lot of back issues rite now, living on a shoe string budget. Which ones would be the best to get. Or any other suggestion to help me with my feather obsession.

Well enough said, I could go on and on about feathers but I'll leave it at that.

Thanks All

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Feather Obsession
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2007 03:26PM

You may want to check out Putter's DVD on feathers at Acid Rod. He does such a straight forward presentation on all his DVD's, even I can understand.

Good Luck,
Marc

Posted by: James Reid (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 12, 2007 04:46PM

Only one you need is volume 2 #1. Might not be on the website but you could E-mail Tom and ask about availability. I know he had them at the rod show in February. That was the one with the full feather inlay article in it. Best thing ever done on the subject.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 05:14PM

Bruce,

Check your e-mail

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2007 09:15PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: June 12, 2007 07:27PM

Volume 2 is on DVD now.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.185.83.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 12, 2007 08:50PM

Thanks for your help I'll take all I can get.

Marc ... I checked out putter's DVD on Acid Rod I think I will get it but it will have to wait another week till I get paid.

James ... I took your advice Tom was very generous a copy is on the way THANKS

Mike ... Thank you for the tutorials they are a great addition to the two I already have one by Neal Hall - "Feather Inlays" & by Pat Vizant - "Fish Image Feather Inlays"

Thanks all this forum is great this is the way it is supposed to work keep it coming.

I am looking forward to the day I can post some pictures to be proud of.

Not just me but others benefit from it.

Thanks everyone

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2007 11:11AM

Bruce, thanks for the comments.....Terry

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.179.168.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 16, 2007 11:34AM

Terry

Keep toughs pictures coming they give me and so many others inspiration.

You are a true artist & craftsman I hope you don't mind me using some of your ideas. They expanded my mind so much that I find myself looking at many objects and how they could be used.

Thank you so much Terry

Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster