I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mooseskin® Rail Rod Grips
Posted by: Scott Greenberg (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 04:21PM

If you're looking for a sturdy rod grip that you can rest on a rail
and not damage the grip—then you want our new Rail Rod
grips! They are available in 14” lengths and are a cork and
rubber composite. To see or purchase contact Merrick Tackle.
www.merricktackle.com or 800-628-8904

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mooseskin® Rail Rod Grips
Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2007 05:06PM

What if your a retail consumer? Do you special order them through your closest retailer?

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2007 02:16AM

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2007 06:35AM by Scott Throop.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2007 11:11AM

I think Amity Harbor and Donart carry Merrick products. @#$%& too, I think.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 13, 2007 11:15AM

Scott, go to Merrikc's website, there's a picture of this grip on there.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink)
Date: June 13, 2007 11:31AM

We are also now dealers for Merrick.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2007 12:30PM

Aren't these the grips that were ripped off from Scott Throop? Merrick is stooping quite low these days, even used Scotts picture on their website I'm told.

Date: June 13, 2007 01:01PM

If that is the case, Scott has something he can easily pursue if he feels the need to do so. But I'd hold off believing everything that you're told. If his photo is up there (or if it ever was) he can certainly have that removed.

Companies watch the custom rod building community and when a builder comes up with something good, you'd better believe someone in the industry will take notice. Imagine how Rich Forhan must feel.

The fact is, if anyone comes up with a good product and doesn't protect it in the proper manner, you'd better believe that somebody is going to knock it off. I've had it happen and so have many others. And it's not unique to the rod building industry. And, it's not illegal. Maybe not right depending on how you want to look at things, but not illegal.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 01:10PM

the photo's sure do look the same

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.merricktackle.com]

(well, they did until they were changed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2007 03:53PM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 01:14PM

Take a look at most of the popular reel seats and guides and then take a look at the fuji seats and guides. This isn't nothing new by any standard!

Date: June 13, 2007 01:58PM

It's not my intention to side with anyone nor do I get involved in the business practices of sponsors unless there is something illegal going on. But I'd like to think what has gotten started here is more misunderstanding than anything else.

The following is the information supplied to me by Merrick Tackle -

The product and pictures were offered by a manufacturer that we buy from. 

We sold these grips back in the 60's and 70's, at that time they were made under the name of Neo Cork. It seemed like a good idea, something different than what was available.

We don't know Scott or anything about his grips.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 02:38PM

So Scott ripped Merrick off?

Date: June 13, 2007 02:50PM

I seriously doubt that is the case.

I have not held either grip in my own hands so I really can't say. I think the Neo Cork is the same type material that Harnell once used on their rods - a very hard and tough cork composite material. I haven't seen any new stock in years.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 03:02PM

It is a well known fact that many oriental firms, especially the Chinese, are on the lookout for products to copy and profit from. This is happening even now in the clothing, recording, furniture, fashion and yes, even fishing industries. If it's any good and there is a market for it, the Chinese will copy it and put it on the market for sale. Evidently this is now happening with rod building components too. I doubt that even a patent or copyright would protect Scott or anyone from this type of thing happening.

I didn't think Merrick made grips. They just buy them and the firm they buy them from is the one that ripped Scott off. Probably saw the photos right here on RBO and decided to make some up and offer them to the US component distributors for sale. If they were actually making them 20 years ago then I take it all back. But I'd bet it's something they recently knocked off in order to cash in on what they think might be a good idea. Someone else's idea but a good idea at any rate.

It is a sad commentary that good rod builders can't even show off their handiwork these days without fear that a Chinese firm is going to steal their idea and profit from it. And they can probably make the item cheaper and sell it for less than the inventor can. Pity, but what can you do?

Date: June 13, 2007 10:28PM

It is a shame. When large companies do it to each other somebody usually winds up in court. Most custom rod builders, however, can't take that route. They weren't going to make much if any money off that sort of thing to begin with and couldn't afford to sue anyone even if they had a case.

I remember a few years ago when Rich Forhan came to me and asked me if when we ran the article on his locking wrap could we put his name on it so at least he'd get the credit for inventing it (He was also careful to leave the door open for anyone else that might have also been doing the same wrap, but we couldn't find anyone that had, or at least no one came forth). He knew he would never make a dime off of it but like a lot of builders he did feel that it was a unique innovation and I saw nothing wrong with his name being associated with it. Scott was in the same boat with his 3D Tiger Wrap. I hope when builders use this technique they'll tell people it's a "Throop 3D Tiger Wrap" and not just a "3D Tiger Wrap." It's not money and it's not much prestige, but it's the fair and decent thing to do.

I had an email exchange with the folks at Merrick today. As soon as they found out that the photo was Scott's, they removed it from their site. They simply put up what the grip manufacturer supplied them with. They didn't rip anyone off - they simply added a new grip style to their line that is being supplied by an offshore manufacturer. If Scott was the first one to use that material in that style grip for that purpose. I'd hope that at least it would be called a "Throop Rail Rod Grip" but that's all I can do - suggest and hope. I can't control what the oriental manufacturers choose to do.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2007 11:56PM

If you are talking about the the white material Jean and John used many years ago, it was more like a rubber. It was poured into molds and then after it went off it was removed from the molds and shaped. Messy job too. I think it was a two part something or other but it felt like hard rubber and was VERY heavy. Not sure if it is the same stuff that is being disgussed here. Hate to see this stuff happen, I know Scott worked long and hard to perfect his grips. I know his feelings though because the same thing happened to me in th 70s over a wahoo lure. Unfortunately I am sure it will continue as long as products can be imported cheaper than they can be made in this country. Lets all hope they dont figure out a way to import quality custom type tackle.

Date: June 14, 2007 08:29AM

No, not the white hard rubber. I've seen many of those and still have a couple of Harnell rods with that type. But I have at least one other that is fitted with a dense composite cork material. At one time you could buy these grips but it's been many years since I've seen any. Many of the surf rods built along the Carolina Outer Banks in the 60's and 70's had these type grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster