I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Catfish rod recommendation
Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.du.pinetel.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 09:00AM

A friend who does alot of catfishing on the Snake River here between Idaho and Oregon wants me to build him a custom rod. He would like a casting rod that can handle a minimum 20lb. line and be able to throw 6 ozs. of lead. He prefers a 2pc rod. He uses an Ambassator 5600 reel and would like to beable to cast around 100 ft. His old set up, a 7 footer will do only about 60ft. To achieve this I think he would want a longer pole. I took a brief look in Angler's and Batson's catalog but found nothing definate. Whay kind of action would I want to handle this type of fishing, slow, mod. or fast? I would appreciate any of your recommendations for a blank, components and set up. I asume the spiral wrap would be in order for this rod.
Lon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Catfish rod recommendation
Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 09:09AM

Hi Lon
Check my big cat rods from Europe, I got them in 8 and 9 ft. they come with Alps reels seat, handle and butt cap.
Best Regards Mark Crouse ( They are with the MSC Blanks)
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com or on the left The Rod Shop

Posted by: Joe N Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 12:10PM

Lon,

Next time you are headed to Orofino, let me know and I'll show you some of the heavy duty rods I have in stock. Joe

Joe Douglas
Rod Builders International
208-476-5708
joe@rodbuildersintl.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2007 12:19PM

if you are looking for a Blank go back to Batson / Rainshadow and look at the Saltwater listings I used a SU-1209 for my casting rod, Will most definatelly cast MORE than 100 FT. it is one pcs but look for 2 Pcs

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 02:30PM

Neal's Fishing has a good deal on Forcast SWB 70 in 20 - 40 lb class, but they are 1 piece. Might do some checking with him on 2 piece blanks.

Posted by: Steve Day (---.micron.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 03:39PM

You could build a nice catfish rod from a MH, H or XH steelhead or salmon blank.

Batson/Rainshadow possible blanks:
ISA1087F 9'0" 2 15-30 lb. 3/4-2 oz. 0.660 7.0 Moderate Fast Extra-Heavy 5.37 oz.
SH1026-2 Clear Gloss 8'6" 2 12-25 lb. 3/4-1 1/2 oz. 0.525 5.5 Moderate-Fast Heavy 3.41 oz.

Posted by: Morris Cross (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 07:54PM

Lon I live in Caldwell Idaho never have I needed 20 # line for catfish in this area is it the current he is worried about?
I have landed up to 25 # cats on the Snake on Rainshadow 10-14# blanks.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: June 12, 2007 11:18PM

Look at Pac Bay. They have some two-pc rods in that class. Their wholesalers are on the left side.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 12:51PM

SW967F would be the one I would use from the Boat. I use it for Steurgeon with no problemo. I'm sure you could get 100 feet out of it if your a good caster. I'm surprised no one mentioned it! Well it is kind of new I guess.

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 09:46PM

Karry, That has to be one of my all time best blanks, SW967 I've built 3 for chucking swimbaits but used it for cats also and all I have to say is WOW, That is my favorite blank for all type of freshwater fish. Going to try the one I buildt for salmon this year on the Sacramento river mainly back bouncing flat fish. Thanks Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster