I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti Thread Carriage base
Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 06:35AM

Just bought a base for the 8 spool thread carriage. It has the wheel for movement up and down the base. My base is a Clemens base and is about 17 years old . My question is that when I roll the base, it produces a blood curdling screech. It looks like it is coming from the wheel axel that is held in place by a square piece of metal. How do I get rid of this noise? Please help....

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti Thread Carriage base
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2007 09:03AM

A few drops of oil, possibly, will take care of things. Put a drop on the rear of the carriage wheel axle and another on the fore section. One on the shoulder of the square retainer piece as well.

There is one other area to look into - the rear roller on older carriages sometimes had the habit of popping off the bearing and allowing the rear of the base to contact the lathe bed. That was fixed some years ago but you can check it anyway. Make sure the carriage bed does not contact the lathe bed anywhere other than at the 3 nylon wheels. There should not be any metal to metal contact.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 11:19AM

Tom,
I tried the oil on the metal to metal contact point. I was ans still am leary about getting oil on the lather and around the thread presentation area. I did check and there are no other contact points of metal to metal. So, that has to be the spot. Its so bad that the dog leaves the room when I wrap and the wife keeps shouting "WD-40, WD-40" from downstairs!!!! I am going to contact Renzetti and see what their remidy is. I will keep everyone posted. Kevin

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2007 11:27AM

Take the small square retaining plate off and remove the carriage wheel shaft. Set the carriage back on the bed and move it back and forth. Does it still make the noise? If not, then you need to clean or lube the shaft. If the noise is still there, you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster