I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: major finish problem, never happened before, very weird
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 09:03PM

If di-ethylene glycol can be in Chinese Toothpaste and is killing people I suspect there may just be a can of crappy alcohol somewhere in the world and it may just end up in a rodbuilders shop. Private labels are not free from mistake by someone - sometime. Somebody may have cleaned something inside the can of opened alcohol that is causing the problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2007 09:32PM

Washing or wiping with a solvent should never be the last step in surface preparation.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 08, 2007 09:36PM

That was my point, Bill. If the name brand and the private label come from the same batch, they're just as likely to have a problem (or not). Remember the recent peanut butter recall. There were an awful lot of people very surprised to find out that about a dozen brands from JIF to store brands came from the exact SAME batch. Not different formulas, etc. The EXACT same individual batch.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 11:36PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 11:26PM

My other hobby is woodworking and recently I got into woodfinishing big time. Wood finishers have similiar problems with fisheyes. The gold standard for providing a barrier between coats or for sealing off contamination is to use dewaxed shellac. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. It is called "Bulls Eye SealCoat" and is made by Zinsser. Just put a drop on the eye, sand in about 30 minutes and then epoxy away. My most recent, and extensive, use was on a saltwater rod that had bigtime fisheye problems. It works

Posted by: Brian Folz (---.dhcp.mrqt.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 12:10AM

Tom,

Then what should be the last step?

Brian

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 09:25AM

I personally do not like the idea of reusing anything when finish is involved. Mixing cup, brush, pour pan, stirrer and anything else I trash - everything cheap to start with and saves time. To much potential for contamination due to improper cleaning and solvent residuals.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 09:45AM

Buzz Butters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had to put the first coat of finish on three different rods.

> I was @#$%&. I got out some old finish (same brand) thinking this batch was contaminated some
> how. I put this older finish over the first coat and two coats later it was covered,

And this is what still doesn't make sense to me. 3 rods with one finish all had teh same problem Same 3 rods with a different batch of finish..no problem. If it were contamination, the other epoxy he used should have had teh same exact problem.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 12:22PM

... if the contamination was on the rod surface, the first coat could have encapsulated it. I think the likely culprit was using WD40 at all. If you can smell it across the room, you have contaminated everything exposed in the room. At least with WD40 the cleanup should not be too bad. Silicone sprays I have found near impossible to eliminate.

At least in woodworking, I used to have problems on first coats. Stopped worrying about that first coat. Lightly scrape/steel wool the first, and the following coats did much much better. Teak is a great wood to see this effect, where the first coal is largely a primer/sealer. Sounds similar to what is going on here with the first coat

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 04:33PM

Buzz was this blank an import by any chance,one of my repair customers has a series of rods made in China,I can't do anything with them re decals or thread work without first using scotch brite then a coat of permaglos, our finishes will not adhere to these blanks runs away as if the entire thing is contamoinated-it laughs at trying to clean with alcohol, even under the thread when it hits the blank the finish acts weird
John

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster