I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Number of Guides on Fast-Action 13' Surf Rod
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 08:09AM

I'll be starting one of these in the next week or so using a Rainshadow ISP1565. It will be set up NC spinning, 24" from butt to center of reel foot. Guides will be VS3 30-20-10 to BFLG7 running guides. The intersect point should be 5 to 6 feet ahead of the reel, I suspect closer to the latter distance of 72". Assuming that leave about 5' of blank from the intersect point to the tip, how many guides do you think I'll need? I've never built something this long before so I'm curious as to others' thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Number of Guides on Fast-Action 13' Surf Rod
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 07, 2007 09:10AM

Based on the old rule 14 guides (13+1) but a static test id the only way to know for sure.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 09:25AM

Scott is right, Marty: static distribution will be the only way to tell. One thing that I thought while reading your post, though: are size 7 running guides going to be big enough? That's pretty small for such a big surf heaver.

Date: June 07, 2007 09:31AM

I think that 7s will work. This rod is rated for 1/2 to 2 1/2 and will be used mostly to throw 2oz using 12-14 lb line, so I am thinking that I have no shock leader to pass. On the rods where I use a shock leader, I never go below a 10 running guide.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 01:37PM

Hi Marty,

The surf casters rule of thumb is 10# breaking strain of line per ounce of sinker. So, in your case you would need 25# shock line.

The rule of thumb does not take into account wear or abrasion to your line or extremely hard casts. Also, since you have indicated that the rod is fast action, it will amplify any casting errors and possibly cause break offs.

Hope this helps,
Don

Date: June 07, 2007 01:59PM

Don,
Did you ever build on those older Rainshadow ISP1565 blanks? I know you're in Hawaii and understand they were built to be used there.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 07, 2007 02:02PM

72" for the stripper guide placement.....that's WAYYYYYY out there.

Date: June 07, 2007 02:08PM

Not the stripper guide; the intersect guide. I will have three guides before getting to that point. 72" - talk about line slap!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 04:20PM

Hi Marty

"Did you ever build on those older Rainshadow ISP1565 blanks? I know you're in Hawaii and understand they were built to be used there."

Although it is my understanding that Batson started in Hawaii (Maui), I have never knowingly seen a Batson surf rod. I was at ICAST 2006 and should have spent more time at his stand. I started surf fishing in Hawaii in 1981. Since that time the mainstream rods have been: Lamiglas, Sabre, Fenwick, Kilwell, Jeff Andrews and OutCast. Purglas did sell for a short while. Nitro has become a big seller in economy surf rods. Previously Nitro was sold only as a completed rod. Two days ago I saw a Nitro surf blank at Brians in Honolulu. I believe the retail price was about $85.

I do have a Rainshadow RCLB70M. It is of moderate weight, has a good action and is inexpensive. Basically a good value.

Don

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2007 12:27AM

I have built and regularly use a 14 1/2' rod from Anglers Workshop. It's moderately fast tapered and I usually throw 2-3oz leads with 15-30lb powerpro. My rod is setup with 14 guides and size 8 tip. This rod is setup New Cocept style with 12 size 8 TSVLG running guides. The stripper guide is a size 25 TSVLG and the next guide is a size 12 TSVLG. I'm not the best caster in the world but can cast close to 100 yards with this setup using a 3500 Daiwa Capricorn. I feel I could have used size 7 guides for the runners but this was the first rod I wrapped New Concept style and I already had the size 8's available. My intersect point is about 84" from the tip of the rod. I am very happy with the way this rod performs. This rod has been in use for many years (since the New Concept was first discussed) and has caught literally tons of SMALL fishes. I use this rod to cast over the surf break in Hawaiian waters. I know it's a different rod but hope this info can be of some help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster