I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite vs. Poly Arbors
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 07:13AM

I'm about to use graphite arbors for the first time. Everything up to this point has been the poly arbors or the old "dry wall tape with Rod Bond" technique. Is there anything noticably different with the graphite arbors? Given the properties of graphite, are graphite arbors more rigid and thus do they contribute to greater sensitivity?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite vs. Poly Arbors
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2007 08:21AM

Are you really talking about hard graphite arbors? Or do you have the brick-foam arbors sold by Fuji and Pacific Bay?

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 09:29AM

I believe they are Pac Bay. Maybe I'm not understanding what they're made of. Is it not some sort of graphite/resin?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2007 11:01AM

No, they're known as "brick-foam." These are very rigid yet very light and thus are excellent if you wish to preserve as much of the blank's inherent sensitivity as possible. The older graphite arbors were considerably much heavier than the brick-foam type. I'm not sure anyone even offers them anymore.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: June 07, 2007 11:47AM

[shop.mudhole.com]

I think you can find both graphite and poly arbors just about anywhere. I dont know if these are the same you and Tom are talking about or not. See the above for example. I use the polyurethane arbors exclusively now. I dont think there's been any loss of sensitivity.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 12:19PM

Marty,

There actually is a difference between the poly & "graphite" arbors. Fuji sells a graphite arbor, as does Pac Bay. Where the graphite comes in, I'm not real sure. It's some kind of a grind/blend rather than a woven graphite. It's quite a bit more dense than a poly arbor and a LOT heavier. I can snap a 24mm brick foam arbor in half pretty easily, where I don't think I'm strong enough to snap the graphite. They're DENSE.

I've only used the graphite in larger diameters in my own builds, so I can't really say they're more or less sensitive than the foam models. Just based on their density, I'd have to guess that they might be.

If you click on the arbor pictures on this page [] and enlarge them, you can actually see that the graphite arbors are less porous, more dense than the brick foam arbors.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2007 10:11PM

Wow Mark!
All this time looking on your site and I never knew the pix would blow up like that by
clicking on them!! Gonna take me twice as long now to get off your site after I get there.

You da MAN!!!!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 08:31PM

Why aren't cork rings commonly used for arbors?

UL

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 11:58PM

.... I think I remember way back when,.... 20+ years back..... people using cork rings for arbors.

I am sorta wondering of the utility of 'graphite' arbors. The magic of structural graphite is the strength of the fibers. And yet I don't detect a single fiber in the pics I've seen. So is this stuff just plastic/resin with carbon dust added? If so, why would it be any different in usage than the resin by itself?

And on the flip side, if there really are fibers in there and you get the magic strength/weight/rigidity of structural graphite, wouldn't rings of the stuff around your blank create nice places for the blank to break off at under stress? Less bending down down the butt than anywhere else,,, but there is some.

And if tf the carbon is added to increase the density (as Mark G seems to imply), then the foam takes away the benefits of that addition, yes?

So what is the alure of 'graphite' for arbors? The word 'graphite' implying better and high tech? To catch egos and create one-upsmanship? Or is it to put a more dense material in there, and unknowingly in that process to create a nice point of potential blank failure? All of the above?

Sorry,,,, I'm thinking too much again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster