I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jim Uptons Trim band bobbin
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (64.19.166.---)
Date: June 06, 2007 07:42AM

Jim,This tool is amazing.So easy to make and makes trim bands a breeze.Thanks for sharing.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2007 07:42AM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jim Uptons Trim band bobbin
Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 09:23AM

Great, How can we get one?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 06, 2007 09:34AM

Make it yourself.

Fred, next gatehring you have the TRim band DEmo. This way everyone can ignore you instead of me, lol.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 06, 2007 11:00AM

I keep meaning to stop by Ace and buy the stuff to make one of these. Such a cool little tool. Matt, if you have a soldering iron, you can make one yourself probably in about 15 minutes.

Date: June 06, 2007 11:12AM

The wire is a brazing rod with the flux removed.This makes the soldier stick but you may be able to use a wire coat hanger and just crimp the connectors onto it instead of soldier.I use the connectors for 10 guage wire(yellow insulator).If the blue are used(14-16 guage) it may work with just a crimp.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 06, 2007 12:54PM

My local Ace HW sells all kinds of brass rod and aluminum rod in a bunch of sizes - I'm going to check that stuff before I check the brazing rod. Incidentally - what size of thread rod fits those sewing machine bobbins?

Thanks!

Rich

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 05:32PM

1/4 inch

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Shea (58.173.184.---)
Date: June 06, 2007 06:04PM

I've been meaning to ask you guys how you do trim bands. This may is much better than my dodgy method which involved a piece of cardboard with two V's cut out and some trim thread wrapped around it multiple times. I then use masking tape to temporarily hold it to the blank, which sometimes results in it either falling off at the wrong time or sticking to the thread and making me wish I had 3 arms to untangle it.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 08:59PM

What the heck is this? And are there any plans available to make it?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.126.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 10:30PM

Michael, I used to do the same as you with the V-notched index card spools. Had the same problems. Eventually settled on a loose thread for small ones, and for larger ones, a modified mouse trap. Same concept as Jim's idea, but far less cool. Gonna make a couple copies of Jim's bobbin this weekend.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2007 09:18AM

Advice from a plumber
Make sure you wash off all the flux when you’re done and I strongly suggest using a water soluble non acid flux.
If some leaches out over time, the corrosion from the acid flux will discolor your threads.

Date: June 07, 2007 10:06AM

Steve,I used rosen core electronic soldier for that reason.Thanks for the tip though.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster