I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Easy/cheap water break free tool
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 06:50PM

I don't know if anyone has done this, but I just tried a bronze shotgun cleaning brush (new one, not greasy) in a hand held cordless drill and it worked great for a water break free surface inside a graphite spinning seat.

The bristles are very fine, and give enough to just break the surface. In the cordless drill it took about 5 seconds to do the reel seat, and the brush cost me $1.99. A 20 gage brush is perfect for 16 mm seats, and between 16, 12, and 10 gage I am sure you could cover larger seats.

Watch close, as there are "immitation" bronze brushes that actually have bronze colored plastic bristles.

Keep smiling,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easy/cheap water break free tool
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 06:52PM

Good tip!!! Thanks, Marc

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 07:14PM

A lil' over kill, no??? But nice tip...Thanks

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 07:24PM

No overkill - it works too easy. Try it!

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 08:48PM

MARC;

TREMENDOUS IDEA. THANKS! I'VE BEEN WONDERING IF THERE WASN'T A BETTER WAY...

RON.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2007 09:15PM

RodMaker Magazine showed how to make such a Water Break Free tool in a past issue. The ideal material is Scotchbrite and it's easy to fasten into the split end of an aluminum or steel rod. No doubt the bronze shotgun brush will work, but the Scotchbrite tool is even better and by using longer or short sections of the SB pad, you can adjust for the size of any reel seat.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 10:23PM

The tool Tom mentioned and wrote about was sold at the NERBs booth in 2006, about 24 of them were sold in 3 hours. No way is this tip overkill at all, it's just an alternative method for $2. I used to HATE cleaning out the center of reel seats, not it's a 5 second process.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 10:58PM

You could do the same with the SS bristle brushes sold for prepping copper pipe for sweating (soldering) in plumbing applications - might last a bit longer than the brass variety. ..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 11:22PM

I use a Dremel tool with Abrasive Buffs
[www.dremel.com]?
They have enough give to fit multiple size handles.
Also use them to buff off the mold ridges left on the out side of the handles from the factory and to do some finish contour work.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 12:54AM

Alright, I'll bite here....Is this step necessiary? Don't get me wrong, I want to build the best possible rod, But I sorta feel thats its over kill to put a water break free finish on the inside of a reel seat. I dont use graphite seats much at all, so I may be a bit nieve here. Is this a common step that is done with a graphite reel seat skeleton? I generally use alum skeletons with wood inserts, but just so I know when/if I use another graphite seat....

Thanks in advance.....

Danny

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 06, 2007 01:27AM

Danny,
Not sure how neccesary it is, but for the few seconds that it takes, it's worth it to me for piece of mind. By making everything that I bond together water break free, I know that I've pretty much done everything that I can to ensure a good bond.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 03:25AM

I was always told to stay away from metal buffing materals when buffing a blank. This was told to me by a blank manufacture I use nothing but a grey Scotchbrite pad.
Good Wra]s bob

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2007 06:44AM

Danny;
I'm with Mike on this one.
I've seen several handles come loose on rods over the years.
But not on one that I have built, and I always prep all my surfaces that are being bonded together.

Bob I buff the insides and out sides of seat, handles, arbors with power buffers, but like you I only use scotchbrite pads on my rods. But I had not ever heard that it is bad to use metal buffing materials on blanks.
Did he give you a reason for this?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 07:53AM

WHere did anyone say to use this on a blank?

Danny, don't clean the inside of your reel seats, it really doesn't matter to me or anyone else. Anyone who actually HAS cleaned teh inside of a reel seat with paper towel and alcohol will understand why it's probably not a good idea though.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2007 08:33AM

It provides the best bond possible and with the proper tool takes about 5 seconds to do. 10 seconds if you clean the inside of the seat first (which you should also do).

Against many years of hoped for use, I wouldn't pass this step by. It takes seconds to do and might keep you from having problems at some point down the road.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 06, 2007 10:40AM

What issue was the tool in?

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 10:59AM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Danny, don't clean the inside of your reel seats,
> it really doesn't matter to me or anyone else.
> Anyone who actually HAS cleaned teh inside of a
> reel seat with paper towel and alcohol will
> understand why it's probably not a good idea
> though.
>
> NERBS - North East Rod Builders

You know...I dont believe I was being a smart a$$ in my replies, just stating what I had though and said I was probally a lil' nieve, because I dont use graphite skeletons very much....Maybe Im taking this wrong, but from someone who is a respected individual in the rodbuilding world, I would have expected less of a sarcastic answer to a simple question. Im glad that you dont care, but I'll take it that its a common practice and the right move to do when using a graphite skeleton... Thanks all for the reponses, even Mr. Vivona, I know your time is valuable.

- Herbert Spencer

Date: June 06, 2007 01:05PM

Steve: This info. was told to me at a rod builders get together in Woodland WA. . The info was given to me by an Lamiglas rod designer a few years back.. He stated that a a metal buffing products like a steel wool could scratch into threw the bank finish and damage the blank fibers (graphite). Where a grey ScotchBrite pad just deglazes the finish and well not cut into the graphite.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 06, 2007 01:23PM

Billy: The issue was de-glazing the inside of a reelseat was it not, By de-glazing you would get a better bonding surface, correct. If this is true why not de-glaze the blank surface also. I put in my suggestion about not using a steelwool product on a blank. I posted this as a extra precaution for, I guess for newbie’s
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 02:32PM

Wow - didn't mean to cause such a fuss with this. Tom K. has always stressed breaking the surface of any items being bonded - inside or out - and I think he is 100% correct. The brush idea is for the inside of reel seats only. Rod blanks are so easy to scuff by hand with scotch brite or 400 grit paper, I wouldn't bother with anything else. I do know that using anything too agressive on a rod blank is not a good thing.

I do have the Rodmaker issue with Tom's tool and have made one and it works well too.

Now everyone go get a shotgun brush, or make one of Tom's tools - whichever you like, and scuff some reel seats.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster