I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Should the finish go over the rubber winding check on a spinning rod?
Posted by: Jason Smith (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 12:56PM

On my saltwater fly rods I've always applied the finish on the butt so that it only covers the threads that are next to the winding check but no finish on the rubber piece itself, however looking at my store bought spin rods, it looks like the finish goes past the threads up on to the rubber. Is there a preferred method? Thanks again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should the finish go over the rubber winding check on a spinning rod?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 01:23PM

It's really personal preference. I like to finish over the rubber WC because they seem to last a lot longer, as they will break down over time. The one thing I noticed is that the American Tackley style that have a chalky finish on them need to be cleaned with alcohol, or the finish may not want to take to it. Have not had that problem with the shiney finished Pac Bay type.

I think the American Tackle ones look nice with finish over them because the have a larger ramp to them.

Just my $.02.

Marc

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 01:44PM

Marc is right, it really is personal preference. I think it looks better with finish over the winding check, and it would protect the rubber from aging and cracking. American Tackle is now offering both styles, our traditional style and a thinner profile check with a very shiny finish. We do recommend cleaning the rubber checks before applying though, just in case there is some dirt or foreign particles on them. Look for all of our winding checks in our catalog due in July!

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Jason Smith (---.sac.net.va.gov)
Date: June 05, 2007 06:57PM

Thanks.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: June 05, 2007 11:03PM

Yes, sometimes. Visualize what it'll look like, or better yet, look at the photos on this BBS for some of these. Even better, look at some of the covers or centerfolds in RodMaker. If it fits the style of the rod you're building, do it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 11:04PM

Here's an idea - throw out the cheesy rubber winding check altogether :-) Use your imagination and/or look at the photo pages - there are a bunch of great ideas for winding checks. Everything from turned wood and corian to toe rings, etc. I frequently make them out of silver chain - I tack one end of the chain at the grip/blank junction with 5 minute epoxy, after it cures, I wrap the chain around, locate the link that just completes one revolution around the blank, and cut the chain there. Then, I tack it in several more spots around the blank with 5 minute epoxy. If you take your time and cut carefully and place the chain carefully, you can't even see the joint. Then, when I finish the rod, I build up epoxy in that area to cover the chain and very top of the grip. Looks sharp and separates your rod from something sold anywhere else :-)

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 06, 2007 06:54AM

I agree with throwing out the rubber winding checks. I like to ramp up some thread and apply a couple of coats of finish over that. It just looks more appealing to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster