I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy mixer and rod glue?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2007 11:02AM

Just got my Pac Bay epoxy mixer, and it looks great!
I was wondering if anyone has used one of these with liquid type rod glue like Flex Coat?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy mixer and rod glue?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: May 31, 2007 11:06AM

WHy would you bother? The whole point of the mixer is bubble free application.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: May 31, 2007 11:19AM

I don't understand why you would bother with a liquid type rod glue. ROD BOND or from what I hear Andy's new stuff is good I have just not had a chance to use it.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 12:21PM

I understand the point of the mixer is bubble free finish, but I have some tendonitits that flares up, and I try to avoid irritating it as much as possible when it does.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: May 31, 2007 12:59PM

OK, so then I don't see a reason for it not ot work with ANY liquid type epoxy. My wife once had Carpel Tunnel, adn was unable to mix pancake batter or scramble eggs.

That's probably a selling point for the mixer that they didn't realize (obviously I didn't).

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 31, 2007 01:17PM

I'm sure it would work - but the viscosity of rod epoxy and finish epoxy may be different enough to effect the size of ball bearing you need to mix properly.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 01:17PM

With the liquid epoxies, you only need to mix for a few seconds so I think that it would take longer to set up and mix in the mixer than it would to mix and apply by hand

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2007 02:43PM

The adhesives are going to be a bit too thick to work well in a mixer.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2007 03:00PM

Mike,

With an epoxy like Flex Coat standard (not the 5 min.), how long do you usually mix? I usually mix for 2 min. to make sure it is well mixed.

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 03:33PM

I mix for for probably 15-20 seconds. Basically, I fold the 2 parts together with a toothpick but I will say that I no longer use anything but Rod Bond and now Andy's Ultimate Gel although I still use 5 min for "winding check" ramps.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: May 31, 2007 06:20PM

I have used the epoxy mixer and it works great for mixing your coating for wraps. And I am sure it will work with any epoxy glue that is liquid but I don't think it will work on the paste epoxy, I haven't tried it but I think it would make the steel ball jump out of the cup and really wouldn't mix it like it does with the liquid epoxies.

Neal's fishing Products

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2007 12:56AM

I have this the mixer, the bearing might not be heavy enough to mush the epoxy real good.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2007 02:40AM

If hand mixing is too dificult and the epoxy is too thick for the ball bearing to blend simply plunge a popsicle stick or a flat coffee stirrer vertically into the epoxy and hold it steady as the cup turns. Another option is strips cut from those phony credit cards that come in the mail. Use the flat side to scrape the walls and fold the mixture together. Make sure the epoxy is blending thoroughly. If you reuse the cup clean it well ASAP. I use an ECKO stainless steel 2 oz. measuring spoon (a cup with a short handle) on a flex coat dryer bent back about 40 degrees for mixing finish epoxy. It cleans up well with alcohol or brush cleaner.

Dave

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2007 02:15AM

Marc,

What you got is a FINISH MIXER. The combination of both the motor's RPM and the bearing weight mentioned above will make the bearing stick to the side of the cup and go round & round like a Kid on a Tilt-a-whirl, rather than staying in the bottom of the cup and rolling like it's intended to. I guess on a real hot day when the epoxy's not so viscus, it MIGHT work, but normal conditions? You won't like it. You'll end up standing there with a spatula trying to keep the bearing on the bottom and getting frustrated more often than not.

Save it for your finish.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster