I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat 5 min epoxy strength
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 07:31PM

I usually use Rod Bond, but at times it would be nice to glue up a handle and work on it a little later. Is Flexcoat's 5 min epoxy strong enough for grip and reel seat bonding?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat 5 min epoxy strength
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2007 07:37PM

It is, but you have to be carefull to have everything all ready to go. You do not have alot of time to play with that epoxy.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 08:22PM

The fast cure has nothing to do with the strength and it'll be just fine in that application, Marc.

Do heed Mike's warning, though, and have all your ducks in a row; she sets up mighty fast!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 08:40PM

Marc,
We have a new epoxy that we just released that cures in 15 minutes. Has about 13 minutes of working time before it starts to gel. Several lOEM's are already using it becuase they can cork out 8-10 rods before it starts to gel, yet they're ready to wrap in 15 minutes. It's called Ultimate Epoxy-15.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 08:52PM

Curing time really doesn't affect strength but Mike's right, there just isn't any margin for error with 5 min. I really like the 15 min gel from Lamar.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 09:41PM

Is this 15 min. epoxy in a gel form like Rodbond ? Will it stay where you put it or does it run like regular epoxy ?

Date: May 10, 2007 09:47PM

My question was answered 2 posts down. I was thinking of Andys Ultimate Gel. Got to get me some !

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 09:55PM

Jay,
It's a gel similiar to RodBond, but not quite as thick. Our epoxy is gap filling and non-sagging but it is also thixatropic, meaning you can manipulate it to flow if you need to.like Ketchup, it stays put unless you tamp the bottle, then it will flow very very slowly.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: May 10, 2007 10:25PM

For more info. Go to search Ralph made a excellant post on 5 minute epoxies.
When using any fast cures like Randy (Putter) states the is no margin for error.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 10, 2007 11:20PM

Thanks Andy & Bob , I like your description Andy. Sounds great to me. I'll do the search and read up on it again. This stuff will be great if you are in a hurry, assuming all your ducks are in a row. Got to get me some.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: May 11, 2007 04:54AM

EPOXY, ,,,,,,, , PAINT DEPT....... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$1.97,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Have not had a failure since using it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2007 12:25PM by Moderator.

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2007 11:51AM

Hey Marc,
There are alot of options out there for a 5-15 minute epoxy, to use as a handle glue. In my experience, the rod-bond is a lot cleaner. Because it is a paste, it will not run or drip like the more liquid like glues will. If you do go with a more liquid glue, I would recommend American Tackle's or Lamar's. Just be sure you are ready for a quick clean up if necessary.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Date: May 11, 2007 11:55AM

Lamar's is a gel/paste type, not a liquid. Very similar to Rod Bond and comes in slow, 15 min and 5 min formulations

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 11, 2007 11:58AM

Hi Chase,
Our 15 minute is a gel/paste...it is gap filling and non sagging very similiar to RodBond.....very easy to mix and apply. By the way, when are the ringlock Titan's going to be released? I may be interested in those.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: May 11, 2007 12:02PM

Ooops....posting the same time as you Mike

Andy

Date: May 11, 2007 12:30PM

Hey Andy,
I guess I haven't seen your 15 minute stuff, I must be confusing it with something else. Sounds like a great product though, I might need to get some for myself.
I have some of the Titan Ring Locks now, but it was really just an initial sample shipment. We should have plenty of them by June, and we are going to introduce them at ICAST in July.
They are truly phenomenal, extremely light weight, corrosion proof, and of course the ring-lock design. Our catalog will be out in July, so look for them in there as well!

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Date: May 11, 2007 01:15PM

Chase,

I understant that they won't be available in the single foot models, except in the fly type. That's a bummer! Any plans for that in the future??

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: May 11, 2007 05:37PM

Hey Mike,
They are not available in single foot models as of now. It is something they are talking about for the future though. If these guides continue to be such a success, I am sure we will bring in the single foots as well. Thanks for the interest Mike!

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster