I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rebuilding a rod
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (128.163.110.---)
Date: April 28, 2007 01:50PM

I have a Bass pro shops Bionic blade that i bought almost 10 years ago. The guides are all in good shape all fuji concept half double foot and half single foot...but its been heavily used and now the finish on the wraps of the guide feet are starting to fade and crack. I was thinking about taking it all down and redoing it from top to bottom. My question is this:

If I were to take the guides off I know I can get the epoxy off, but to redo the cork I would have to take off the reel seet and redo all of that as well. So is it possible to get all of the epoxy off and to get the reel seat off withough damaging the blank? and to refinish the blank would I want to paint it? or try to buff out the scratches and re do it the way the article on this site suggests?

Any help would be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rebuilding a rod
Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 02:06PM

You can get the reel seat off with out damaging the blank. What I have done to remove reel seats is to wrap them in tape then use me alcohol lamp to gently heat them and then put a strap wrench(oil filter wrench?) on them and twist. To twist I brace the handle against my leg and grab the fore grip and rear grip.If done properly the reel seat will separate from the epoxy which will stay on the blank. Be sure to take your time and put the heat on the blank for short periods of time so you don' t hurt the blank. Use that tape as an indictor for the amount of heat you are applying if it starts to singe stop. It only takes a little heat and a lot of muscle to get them loose

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: April 28, 2007 03:53PM

Just how much is a new rod from Bass Pro ??

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 05:22PM

Why not sand the existing cork grips down and install the new grips over that... like a bushing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2007 05:23PM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2007 06:24PM

Steve has given you a great idea. It's the easiest way and if done right will be structurally sound once complete.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2007 12:57PM

If you want to remove the reelseat, cut a groove along the length of the reelseat with a dremel cutting disc-making sure not to cut thru to the blank-and insert a thick slotted screwdriver into the groove and split the reelseat open. Remove reelseat from the blank and start rebuilding or removing your grip.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2007 05:26PM

All of the methods suggested will work.

It is sometimes quicker just to cut the blank at the fore grip, and then rebuild the handle assembly on an "extension". Follow the instructions for extending a blank and if you have the scrap blank material, its just like rebuilding on a new blank.

Terry

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.facultystaff.eku.edu)
Date: April 30, 2007 10:25AM

thanks guys I figure I'll try to heat it first and if that won't work then i'll try the other methods..I'd like to save the reel seat if I could its a good grip...But the new bionic blades are around 80 bucks or so and to refinish the rod would only cost me 10 or 15 with some new grips, thread, and finish so it would be worth the effort to try to repair it to save an old rod that has landed a few nice fish and even better memories.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster