I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

simple spiral question
Posted by: Mike Emerick (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 02:05PM

Hey guys I'm getting ready to wrap my first spiral. It's gonna be a super seeker 8' 25lb bait stick. I'm gonna get an accurate 270 or 197 for it. I'm gonna use the Titan turbo guides. My question is from reading the article in Rod Maker do I size down the first guide? Can I use a size 16 or do I use a 20. I would like to use a 16 because it is $25 cheaper than the 20. Can you give some guidance on sizes. Should I go 16,16,12,12,10,10,8,8,tip. Then 10 for the bumper. I would like a plan because I have to order the Titans because no one locally(San Diego) carries them.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: simple spiral question
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 02:22PM

A 16 is big enough on the 270, but dump the rest of the sizes. Order a 16, 10 (that you may not even need) and the rest 8's. That "cone" type set-up used on factory rods is mainly used for guide height to get the line up off the blank when it's loaded. Your line's going to be UNDER the blank, so it's not an issue. You'll save weight and MONEY.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: April 28, 2007 02:30PM

Thanks Mark so I do use the 8 as the bumper between the 16 and 10

Date: April 28, 2007 02:41PM

I only suggested getting a 10 because I've had the line get REAL close to the blank under load with a fish at color going sideways on you with that smaller stripper. No big deal if it DOES touch at that point really. The Titans are high enough that you can more than likely pull it off with all 8's. Having a 10 in your hands when you set it up will give you a little room to play. Using that in the first 180 spot can give you an extra mm of clearence.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: April 28, 2007 03:08PM

Not to change topics but I'm also building a 25lb spinning bait stick for my wife. Do I go 40,than next size than go 8's all the way. By the way I'll be calling you for an Alps centra-lock next week. Do you have a silver 22 in stock?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2007 03:58PM

Read the article on the New Guide Concept on the library page here for instructions on the spinning set up.

Date: April 28, 2007 04:40PM

Yes on the seat.

Follow Tom's advice on the New Concept system. You'll probably end up with the stripper and two more sizes before you get to the 8's. If you're coming in for the seat and want to bring your blank & reel along for the spinner, I can show you how to set it up as well. I'll be out doing some "R&D" on the BG90 Thurs-Sat though.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster