I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming EVA/foam
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 08:13PM

Attempting (feebly) to replace a cork tape rear grip with an EVA foam grip from the bottom up. Unfortunately, the inside diameter of the foam grip is a wee to small and I cannot force it up over the blank, thus the Q. I have tried the normal cork reamers with little success. Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help, need to rest my arms now.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming EVA/foam
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 08:31PM

You might try a shotgun barrel cleaning wire brush attached to a cleaning rod and chucked into a drill. Work the brush back and forth until you remove the material that you need ro make the hole bigger. It works for me.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 08:35PM

You may be stuck with getting a bigger diameter EVA. Are you trying to fit it dry? Try some sort of liquid soap and see if you can start it. If so, clean the soap off, goop it up with RodBond and push. Once you start it, don't stop until it's where you want it. EVA will stretch a lot more than you'd think.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 08:41PM

Someone here (wish i could remember who, to give credit) suggested I glue a ball/marble to the end of the blank to get the grip started up & over the back. That worked great once, but sometimes you can't get the right size ball to do it with.

Tom K. suggested once that I just get a large enough OD Hypalon to get over the butt, then build the taper up (near the seat) with thread to give a snug fit. Worked like a charm.

You CAN ream your grip if it's EVA just like you would cork. Hypalon? Not so good...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 09:02PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I should have clarified that I got it about 1/3 of the way up but I had loaded up the inside of the grip with Rod Bond, but none on the blank. Are you all suggesting that Rod Bond on the blank will act as a lubricant? Maybe the light is going on.

The outside diameter of grips with larger inside diameters are too large for the client's hands, it's the wife of my customer, the cork tape was too small, thus the need to try and find a middle ground. I'm not too keen about shaping the larger diameter grip as I don't believe I have the right tools, no lathe and it would be just a mess to try and do it in the rod room with my power rod wrapper. Now to find a hunter in the neighborhood.

Posted by: Tim Hoffland (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 09:37PM

I used a hand reamer on my EVA grips before I learned that you weren't supposed to/dont have to ream them to get them on so I know it can be done, however I didn't have to push them on from the base.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:40PM

Ray you have to put the rod bond on the rod way above where you want the grip to sit. It is the lubricent here and thus you should put it on way up before you even think so it builds up a blob ahead of where the grip starts getting tight.. Its messy so have the alcohol ready and a lot of paper towels but thats how i do it. Billy broderick

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 11:42PM

Ray what about another layer of cork tape to build up the grip size to fit her hand?

The rodbond needs to go on the blank, it does lube it up, I put it on both the blank and inside the grip. Since you can get it started you should have no problem getting it the rest of the way just don't stop once you get started.

Good luck.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 31, 2007 12:14PM

The marble is a good suggestion.

Also, a couple of the posts above are thinking in terms of installing the grip from the tip end as usual. In this case he is coming on from the butt end...which means the tried & true method of "putting Rod Bond on well above where the grip will sit" doesn't fit this scenario.

Try to find a marble that will allow the eva to slip over the butt end w/o catching on the edges of the blank. You also will want to be sure the smallest od of the blank will fit snugly inside the grip before attempting the install. I would think any shimming would best be done before hand.

Good luck.

Jay

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2007 08:52PM

I have drilled them out with metal bits but you have to keep them straight. (Easier said than done.-I have messed up a few in this learning process) If I drill at 3/8 inch I can put it on a 5/16 butt. Wall thickness is also a big consideration using this method. Hapalon is easier than EVA. I've always glued them on with rubber cement with no problem.

Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster