I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spincast rods
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 06:36PM

Forgive my ignorance here, but it's been a long time since I used one of these and it was one of those old closed face zebco's that I learned on. It was mounted topside, like a baitcast reel. I noticed some "newer" models today with longer necks and a trigger lever rather than a thumb press, that look like they'd be better off mounted bottomside, like a spinning reel. Is this correct, or do they still need to be mounted topside? Do they have 2 different model/mountings for these spincast/closed-faced reels now...one lower in baitcase style, the other higher in spinning style...or was it always that way and I never noticed before?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 06:38PM by Steven Libby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spincast rods
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: March 29, 2007 06:41PM

Those triggerspin types mount from the bottom. Pretty neat little reels for crappie, etc.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 06:45PM

They have two different types. The standard "spin cast" which sits on top and a "trigger spin" or Underspin" which hangs down and fits a standard spinning seat and has a long "trigger" for the finger instead of the button. The underspins are a pretty slick little reel. They are great for "slingshottinging" bait up under docks and pontoon boats. Grab the bait in your left hand and pull it back (with the rod low and perpindicular to the water) until the rod is about 90 degrees. Let the lure go and when the bait points at your target, release the trigger. I have seen guys that can sent a Mepps 30' under a dock like an arrow with the lure never being more than a foot above the water.

I love them for kids because they learn real young the feel of a spinning rod and is an easy transition to a standard spinning reel for them.

Phil, must have been typing at the same time!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 06:46PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: March 29, 2007 06:58PM

Mike - your reply much more thorough than mine anyway.

I've been toying with the idea of picking one of these triggerspins up up for my soon to be 5 yr old nephew, just don't know how it would hold up in salt?

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 07:27PM

Thanks guys, that was very informative as per usual. I'm gonna pick up 2, one for by 4 y/o and 1 for my 5 y/o....ok, and maybe a 3rd for me - its like a blast from the past and sounds from Mikes explanation like it could be a lot of fun.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 07:38PM

The reels that I thought were the nicest were the Abumatics. Have used a few Diawas also that were I think a step ahead of most Zebcos I've tried.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 07:39PM

Daiwa also makes them, I believe. If I'm wrong someone correct me. I'm into restoring and refurbishing the True Temper / Bronson 63 models and it's larger brother 66 model and smaller light action ones. These are neat set-ups too with a spincast type reel under slung with the release button built into the real seat on top. They're very popular collectors items now, as they haven't been in production since the mid 70's.

Bill in WV

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 07:45PM

Lot of old Crappie fishermen mount the little Zebco under spin on a heavy fly rod. They love them for Crappie fishing.
Cut my teeth on a Zebco 33 , slingshoting a Shyster and a Mepps spinner , oh yes, and a Lucky 13 also, under Willow overhangs on the river. Brought back some good memories Mike !

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 29, 2007 08:44PM

Phil,

My buddy & myself tried real hard to destroy the 2 zebco 33's we used at the Venice pier in So. Cal years ago and could NOT!
The bonito would spool ya or break off but we did get a few to the gaff. Mike is right about the sling shot feature too! Way cool.
The bail inside is prone to corrosion as is the other metal parts but if you keep'em clean they are like the energizer bunny.
Besides, the price is right to buy a new one for every season!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: March 29, 2007 09:18PM

Cool. We are pretty good about washing our reels after use, so will probably pick it up when I fly back stateside to California in May.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: March 30, 2007 02:51PM

Just to add a little to the discusssion. There are essentially two types of drags on spincast reels. The most common has the drag on the line spool. Zebco, Shakespeare, and Johnson all employ this method, and it does impart "line twist". The other method puts the drag on the "bail pin" (for lack of a better definition). This makes the drag work as though you were backreeling so line twist is reduced. The first reel I remember with this feature was the Garcia Abu-Matic 170. The Daiwa Gold series also uses it. If you're thinking about getting a spincast reel for someone, these are features for which to look.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster