I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Blank for plastic worm
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 06:48PM

Hey Guys

Will someone please recommend a casting blank for plastic worms. It would be used for largemouth bass. Is there a recommended size 6 or 7 ft??

These type of rods are not my specialty.

thanks

Ernie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2007 06:50PM by Ernie Johnson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Blank for plastic worm
Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 07:30PM

Ernie,

The last two worm rods I built were built on Rainshadow RX7 ISJ782 and 783. These are spinning blanks but I like to use them as casting rods. Fishsticks4U has them and they are a sponsor; good people to do business with.

Hope this helps.

rhr

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 08:33PM

It all depends on what size worms your client will fish, what the cover of the lakes is like, etc.

A good baitcasting blank for worm fishing would be a 7' Med/Hvy or Hvy power, fast or extra fast action, in 7'. If the lakes have little cover, I'd go with a St. Croix 3C70MHXF. If the client will be fishing around some cover, then I'd take a step up and go with the 3C70MHF. If the fish are especially big, or the cover especially nasty, you might consider a 3C70HF.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 11:48PM

Last year I used a Graphite USA C65MHXFWDHX blank to build a rod for suspending jerkbaits. It serves as an excellent worm rod, also. They are available from Mud Hole (also a board sponsor), and they can be had in a variety of colors. However, for the money, the RainShadow blanks are an incredible bargain and Ray and Robert at FishSticks4U provide great customer service.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Tom Doyle (72.236.238.---)
Date: March 18, 2007 09:38AM

It all depends on the customer, how he's built, how he fishes, and where. In the Potomac River where I used to fish for bass, many guys would prefer medium power, just as many medium-heavy. A few would use other powers. The length of rod would vary also, with 6.5 and 7 foot rods about equally popular. The rod length depends not only on the size of the guy, but also on the fishing style: long casts, short pitches, both? Most bass fishermen will have many rods in the boat with them, so "one of each" may be the way to go.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 01:24PM

I would mirror what Mr. White said. A 7' rod is the way to go. You will need more info from the customer as far what weight baits he's going to throw and what not. A good all around blank for this would be a CTS EBT170610. I like this blank becuase its tip section is very similiar to a 3C70MHF but the butt section is little more powerful allowing you to get a big hook through plastic and into the fishies mouth. I also like this rod because a good fisherman can throw a 7 footer with great accuracy yet if the need arises it is also a great pitchin length. It's the most versatile length for the application. I hope this helps and if you have any further questions e-mail me. Bryan.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (72.236.238.---)
Date: March 18, 2007 03:40PM

Another factor is what surface will the guy fish from: bank or boat; if boat, what kind of boat. If he has a true bass boat with a platform, then a 7' rod may be best all around. But if from the banks or froman unmodified jon boat, for example, then you cannot effectively pitch with a longer rod, without using a sidearm motion. Guido Hibron uses a 5'8" rod for pitching and skipping plastics around docks, kneeling on the platform of his boat. I use a similar rod (I cut the butt end of a 6-footer) for prowling tree-lined banks, and have landed some monster bass pitching through small holes in the branches.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 06:18PM

Thanks Guys

You were a big help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster