I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Manufacturer's blank specs vary - how much is too much?
Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 12:04PM

I always check tip size and butt diameters when I get a new blank. Perhaps I'm really anal about this, but it always bothers me when the specs published by the manufacturer's vary from the ones I take. I know that the manufacturing process of rolling blanks on mandrels and cutting them down can change things, but some are very consistent, St. Croix for example (almost creepy how consistent), and others are not. Why? I understand that the material specifications, layup, tapers, etc. are ultimately responsible for how rods behave, but my confidence is somewhat knocked off center when tips and butts don't measure up as advertised, and I don't expect perfection, just get me close. I'm especially annoyed when I find that the 5 weight I have purchased actually measures out to be the 4 weight blank listed next ti it in the catalog. This happens enough that I've contacted the manufacturer and some have expressed concern, even asked for the blank back, while others say it's normal and offer nothing. So when do you call foul on this, or is this just a lot to do about nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Manufacturer's blank specs vary - how much is too much?
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 01:51PM

Tips will vary up to a full 64th, I accept a 1/2 64th and also note any variations ina spec sheet that entail everything doen on the rod and waht components used and sizes. Butt dias. will vary also, but if it went a weight lower I'd be concerned and most mfg would say the tip measurment being off is within tolerance, I just would not stand for the butt dia. being a full weight out of whack.

As you mentioned Croix's consistancey, its been a while, but on their older SCIV's and their higher end series rods, on the higher weight 2 pc fly blanks; the tips sections were not crooked ( although some can be 10-15" below the tip) but the whole tip section were off several degrees from straight, right out of the ferrule. sight some of their higher weight production fly rods in a store some time and see if they still do this?

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 02:33PM

John,

I'm so with you on this it's not even funny. Luckily for I'm in a hurry here so I won't be "tilting" the bandwidth meter... Also, I commend you for not dropping mfgr. names like you obviously avoided.

Like Chris said, +- a 64th is "acceptable" by many customers, however, when you're only talking 4/64th's as a spec., that's a pretty big margin of error. 20% is a little much for me to swallow. Will 20% between two blanks make them act differently? As a consumer, I would hope so... On an expensive Bass or Fly blank with a small tip, that's too much IMO. This isn't just a "cheap' blank issue either. I've had (larger tipped) $150 blanks be off as much as 3-4/64ths. Never had a problem exchanging them with the manufacturer, but the problem is they or I don't always have a replacement in stock. It can be frustrating.

It's been suggested here before that it's the Dealer's responsibility to insure that what they're shipping is what they advertise. My comment then as it is now would be that if everyone was willing to pay MSRP, maybe that could happen. The fact of the matter is, at the margins most dealers have to sell at to be competitive, there’s nothing left to pay for “inspections” like that. A large volume dealer would have to have several people doing nothing but taking measurements. Anyone who knows anything about HR will tell you, that’s a lot more expensive than meets the eye of the consumer.

I also mentioned before that we’re lucky enough to be able to “will call” blanks from two of our largest suppliers. Even though we buy enough that they’ll ship them at no extra cost to us, we chose to pick them up, just so that we can “eyeball” them. That at least allows us to make sure we’re receiving blanks that are as straight as possible.

See, I started to rant there… lol Back to your original point, I think the allowable +- should be a percentage honestly. Again, 1/64th is no big deal on a 100lb offshore blank, but on a 3wt fly blank it’s totally unacceptable IMO. It happens. Some may get through QC like that, and at this point what it really boils down to is what manufacturers work through it and which won’t.

I probably just invited all the names to fly. lol I honestly don’t think that’s needed. I think it’s safe to say that most Sponsors on THIS board lean towards manufacturers that take care of such issues and wouldn’t leave you out on a limb with a problem. We’ve discontinued certain lines for this as I KNOW others here have as well.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 03:49PM

When I built my first rod, I ordered everything from catalogues, using the manufacturer's specs to buy the tiptop. When it [the tiptop] did not fit, I called the company and was informed that I did, in fact, have the right item. Nonetheless, I was transferred to the production floor where the blank manufacturer assembled their rods. The supervisor there checked the specs that they used and informed me that I was right, and gave me the correct size. Everyone was very nice, and the problem was corrected with no difficulty, but after that, the first thing I check is the tip size when I acquire a new blank. There can be clerical errors as well as deviations in production. Everyone can make mistakes, but it is how mistakes are handled that can make or break my loyalty as a customer.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 05:55PM

I ask the DISTRIBUTOR to make sure the tips fit the blank I'm ordering (you need to order both from the same place) I've also seen tip barrels mislabled so the blank measurment is correct but the tip is the wrong size in the right bin /or label. The same thing can be done for reel seat I.D's if you can supply the Dist. with the location the seat on the blank, They can check that too, but have an alterantive ready, usually a bigger I.D. seat.. One rule of thumb if winging it when buying/sizing a Reel seat was to subtract .060" from the blank butt dia as a simple rule. but you'll often find nothing in rod building is truly simple once your educated about it. There are attempts to make it simple yes.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 04, 2007 08:44PM

Mark Griffin wrote: "... The fact of the matter is, at the margins most dealers have to sell at to be competitive, there’s nothing left to pay for “inspections” like that. ..."

That about says it all. ... Between statistical variances; mechanical tolerances; operator variables; low-profit margins; international competition; and the depression of American wages and the gobalization of industrial economies, it is a bit of a wonder to me that exactness in manufacturing is still as precise & reliable as it is.

When a machine or an operator cranks out hundreds, if not thousands, of parts each day, if not each shift or every hour, 1 error per 1,000 is a pretty good rate of accuracy. And for most manufacturing, it probably is much lower than that, like 1 per 5,000 or 10,000. If it was not that low, customers would take their business elsewhere, as Mark said himself.

Now that I am working in various Production departments of a major sporting goods manufacturer (Bear Archery), I can offer first hand such comments and marvel at how few things go wrong when the possibility is there for many more mishaps and imperfect parts to reach the consumer.

For the manufacturer, a good reputation is much harder to replace than an out-of-specs part. Politely let your observations be made known to the manufacturer(s). Most supervisors are eager to correct mistakes, and to provide you the customer satisfaction that your hard-earned dollar deserves.

With rod-building components, especially rod blanks, the question of CONSEQUENCE is more important than the suggestion of imperfection, IMO. If you consider some imperfection to be of consequence for your purposes, then your judgment is the final arbiter in that situation, and you should feel free to communicate that accordingly.
Respectfully, -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2007 08:52PM by Cliff Hall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster