I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burl Rings
Posted by: Greg Burrows (---.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: March 03, 2007 01:51PM

Hey Guys,

What are the pors and cons of using burl vs top grade cork. Im thinking of using it on a 11 ft. Sthd drift rod in cobonation with a triger real seat, for a bait caster?

The most obvious one is price, $.80 compared with $2.00+ for cork rings.

Im having a difficult time locatting 1.5" dia. x .5"w. burl rings can anyone recomend a source?

Thank you, I look forward to your insite.
Cheers,

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burl Rings
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 02:14PM

The standard is 1.25" OD for these rings. Maybe you'll have luck in finding some 1.5"...what do you need the extra 1/16" on each side for? Just curious.

While the burl looks amazing you have to be a bit careful when reaming to fit. It can crumble...especially if you have it on the ends of the grip or you have an OD that is only slightly larger than your intended ID. Some of the rings can be a bit fragile and crack open if care isn't taken.

Jay

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 03, 2007 02:34PM

Greg,
If it is a Steelhead drift rod that you are building I would not use the burl cork because of the increased weight and how that added weight will reduce the sensitivity of the rod. You will get the best sensitivity if you use regular cork and fit it directly to the blank with no shims between the blank and the cork.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 02:58PM

Weight is a factor with burl rings. There are many that are about triple the weight of cork.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 03, 2007 03:48PM

Andy at Lamar Fishing I think has some 1.5 inch rings, his rings are denser than some burls are, so they weigh in on the heavy side. They are however able to take more abuse from rodholders due to the density. I add a few rings for accent only or use a split grip on drift rods if I'm using burl. Using that big of ring, are you using a glass blank? The rear OD of most trigger reelseats used on drift rods is 1.1 inches or thereabouts till you get into something larger than 18 mm. Angler's Workshop also has a premade larger OD cork grip I've used on glass blanks or other large butted blanks. It's somewhere around 1.3 inches if I remember right.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 03, 2007 03:56PM

I use almost exclusively burl rings, both standard and Andy's exotic, True, they are heavier but it's a trade off I gladly take. I use mostly split grips so that offsets it. I don't use foregrips often either. They can also be bored and have Flexcoat arbors inserted in them. As for durability, I have never found any of the problems some have. Never had one chip or crumble and I even use them with coins, etc inlaid in the end for butt caps. The best think that I like is if I buy 100, I get 100 identical quality, useable rings.

Try a grip with burl and make your deciaion based on that.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Greg Burrows (---.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: March 03, 2007 08:11PM

Thanks, Everyone for your imput.

Some good options to cosider. Im most intrested in this split grip idea, but have never seen them.
Mike ,your inlaid coin idea sounds intresting, have you ever tried it at the front end of a foregrip as a winding check? Where can one view photos of that and the split grips.?

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 10:02PM

I'm with Mike. I just finished a rod with some burl rings I got from Andy in HP. Both have split grips with two rings on the fore grip. I used walnut rings with them and Birchwood-Casey on the wood and the burl rings. Walnut is almost the same color as Andy's dark rings. Great looking rods. One note for Bill Stevens, one of this rods has threadless guides using a modified using Swifty Diamondite for the adhesive. (as per our discussion in HP) I want to wait a few days before I "smoke test" it. The real test is going to be on 4-6lb bronze backs at Santeetlah in two to three weeks.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 03, 2007 10:30PM

Hey Ed,

Put a pic of that rod up so we can see it!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: david daniels (---.sip.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 05:38PM

i too am with mike on the burl. imo it is more durable, and looks so much nicer when finished out especially with a light coat of tru oil .

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 09:11PM

Mike,
I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow of the threadless guides. It is finished. This rod is one I want to try for myself to see it this technique works. It is a modification of the procedure Bill Stevens wrote about in the last issue of Rodmaker. (Only one coat of Permagloss.) The second one is not quite finished but will be this week. It will not have the threadless wraps. I have never posted a photo on this board, I do know how to email them and I'll send it to you if I have problems posted.

Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster