I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster question... Andy Dear or anyone?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2007 12:24PM

What is the maximum amount of time you can allow between coats of Threadmaster, without preparing the surface of the existing application?
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster question... Andy Dear or anyone?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2007 12:31PM

That depends on your cure conditions. If the next coat shows a slight tendency to pull and streak when you first apply it without messing with it to get perfect coverage you have waited too long. The only time I get in a bind with this is when late arriving decals are involved using Micro Sol forced me into a 60 hour delay. If there is any question I normally lightly Scotch Brite or hit with a 600 Grit Stick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2007 01:14PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: February 26, 2007 12:31PM

I will let the experts chime in but if I remember seeing it correctly it is around 72 hrs.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2007 02:27PM

I have went near 72hrs with no trouble, but when I get close to that I hit it with 1200grit paper and then re-coat.

DR

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-196-198.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2007 02:47PM

&2 is on the very outside with any resin....within 24 is best, 48 is ok, but 72 is really too long. Anything over 48 I would scuff with scotchbrite. You can actually apply a second coats as soon as 4-6 hours if you like...sooner is better than later.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2007 02:52PM

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I will need to find my Scotch-Brite!
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: February 26, 2007 10:34PM

Can someone explain why it is necessary to apply a second coat of epoxy within a fairly short period of time. This does not make a lot of sense to me. When you apply a coat of epoxy to a blank the coating on the blank may have been there for months or in some cases maybe even years and there is no problem with the epoxy adhering to the blank.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: February 26, 2007 10:45PM

maybe to get the "water -break- free" surface for maximum bonding capability ? maybe it can apply nicely, but if you attempt to peel it out, it may just come off easily.

personally i have no trouble applying finish over one that has been already on the blank for months or years.. never tried peeling them off to see how it is though..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 27, 2007 12:23AM

Blanks aren't covered with epoxy, if anything, they are covered with paint. Epoxy finish is NOT an adhesive and is fairly easy to remove from a blank or guide. You want both coats to sort of meld or fuse together into one. If you wait to long, scuffing the surface will help the coats to bond together and avoid possible separation

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 08:54AM

Emory, if you want to apply a second coat of finish, over thread, the time involved has a lot to do with the top coat wetting out on the underlying coat to prevent streaking and pulling of the top coat. There is a time in the cure period of the underlying coat when it "glazes" and will exhibit repelling features if not placed in the waterbreak condition by scuffing. It can really look horrible if scuffing of the "cured" underlying coat is not done. The finish can appear to just move around after application causing open areas and streaks. The best finish, with a minimum of prep work, can be achieved by adhering to a reasonable time period between coats. I also think the casting resins require a much longer time to full cure and will tend to bond forming a more homogeneous mass and not separate layers with shear planes between each coat. I build quite a few rods and the waiting periods really gets in my way when waterslide decals are involved. I have to plan when things will happen so that I do not have to scuff the area under a decal and use the Micro Sol to shrink. I try to schedule my work where most first coat finish applications are done late in the work day and then allowed to dry overnight. Then I can finish rod the next day with decal application and application of second coats.

Date: February 27, 2007 09:08AM

Mike,
I understand that the finishes on blanks are not epoxy but when removing a guide I find that the epoxy has adhered to the blank pretty darn well. In fact, sometimes too well. If a second coat of epoxy on a guide adheres to the first coat that well it would be more than good enough. Plus I have on occasion in the past waited more than a couple of days before putting the second coat of epoxy on and did not do anything to prep the surface and have never had any problems that were the result of waiting more than a couple of days between coats.
When a polymer catalyzes the molecules link together in long chains. Its strength is the result of this linking but I don't think that once a layer has catalyzed that another layer over the top of the first would link to the first layer.
I am not trying to start an argument. It is just that I have heard numerous times that the second coat should be applied within a couple of days and I just wondered what the reason for this is or what is the logic behind it.
Maybe Ralph can jump in here and straighten me out.

Date: February 27, 2007 09:15AM

Bill,
I also build a lot of rods but I have never had the same experience that you have had with the second layer looking horrible. Maybe I have just been lucky and my day is coming.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2007 11:40AM

I have seen second layers that actually peel off from the first.

Within a certain amount of time, and this will be dependent on temperature and the specific product being used, a second layer or coat will actually become one with the first - if you could cut a cross section of it and look at it close enough, you would not see two layers. After some amount of time between applications, however, you do actually have two layers.

Date: February 27, 2007 01:31PM

Tom,
It takes several days for the epoxy, at least Flex Coat, to get completely hard. What you say suggests that until it is completely hard or completely cured that the molecules in the two layers will link together. Interesting.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2007 01:36PM

If I recall correctly Ralph uses the term application when referring to applying the finish a second or third time in a limited time frame, generally under 72 hours, after that time you are applying a SECOND COAT which can react differently then applying the finish in a short time frame
John

Date: February 27, 2007 03:26PM

John,
Thanks. Where is Ralph anyway? It seems that he is never around when you need him. He is probably off fishing or something.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2007 05:30PM

Emory,

Ralph has told me this as well as the guys at Valspar. But there is definitely a specific time window you have to work in.

Date: February 27, 2007 06:39PM

Tom,
I have never had the experience that you have had with the coats separating but I do not dispute that they will. It would be interesting to know just what is happening. Without knowing what the mechanism is I have to say that I am still suspicious.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: February 27, 2007 09:26PM

i normally reuse the condiment cup which i use to mix my finish in.. even within 12 hrs, 2 distinct layers of finish can be seen .. i dont know about the strength tho.. i have a cup with six layers, mixture of application within hours to weeks

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster