I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Confused about Flex Coat bits
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: February 16, 2007 05:29AM

I know this is covered in Rodmaker, but don't have access to them right and won't for a month or two when I get back home. I just received my first Flex Coat Pilot drill bit for helping out reaming foam arbors, and now there is a reverse bit that you work in reverse.

Was there an issue with the original pilot drill bits? Why the change to reverse?

Thanks,
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Confused about Flex Coat bits
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 06:56AM

The only reason I can see would be to minimise tearing when you drill conventionally. This may be the case when you try to drill out a large increase in diameter, instead of doing it in 2 or 3 steps. The reverse bits do this with a sharpened taper edge, which kinda carves out a bit at a time, allowing you to go from 1/4 " to a large ID with one bit, no tearing, no worries. Just a time saving bit I guess (no pun intended).

Posted by: John Anderson (---.ktc.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 07:24AM

The original Pilot Drill Bits were developed for reaming our foam arbors that are about four inches long. It was then discovered that they did a fair job of reaming cork grips too but you were greatly limited by the short length of the drill bit. Also pre-shaped cork grips come with various size I.D. holes larger than a quarter inch, the size of the pilot on the bit.

Then we discovered that the length problem could be solved by going the the 16in. long bits and the various size I.D.s could be taken care of with masking tape arbors on the shank of the bit. Almost all I.D. holes in pre-shaped are as large or larger than the shank size of the 16in. bits. The bit is turned around and pulled through the grip in reverse, that is where the name comes from. The electric drill is run in forward mode but you are pulling the bit through the grip instead of pushing it through. Finally we found by grinding the the bottom edges of the spade made the cutting of cork easier and cleaner than pushing the original Pilot Drill Bits through cork grips.

Tom did a real good explaination in RodMaker magazine, check it out if you can. If anyone has any additional questions feel free to call us at 512-858-7742. Ask for Roger, he likes to talk to rod builders on the phone.

John Anderson
Flex Coat Co., Inc.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2007 07:46AM

Exactly, one is for boring arbors and one is for boring longer cork grips. Having the proper tool for the job never hurts.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: February 16, 2007 08:03AM

Ah... ok. I see now. Didn't realize the new bits were for grips vice arbors. Thanks!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 09:09AM

I have a set of six 16" spade drill bits that I bought for less that $10 at Northern Handyman. A couple of these I modded (1/4" tubbing attached to point) for boring cork in the "usual" manner, never thought about pulling these bits "backwards" through the cork grip. I'll be grinding an edge onto these as soon as I build a jig for the grinder.

Lou

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 09:43AM

Tried my first use of the Flex Coat spade bit last night. Just love how nicely it went through the foam. I didn't know about using the bit pulled backwards for the cork. I will have to try that. I did however, reverse the direction of the drill turning the bit in reverse. Worked much better.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.northstate.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 01:50PM

Kevin,

Read that article in RodMaker about "pulling" the bits through cork. They need a simple modification to the BACK side of the bit before you do it. The bit you have is made to work from the front as it sits.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster