I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WINTER RESULTS with Jannsnetcraft Flexlite guides are in..
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:48PM

Great news to report for the use of Jannsnetcraft flexlite guides in cold weather and well below zero...

I have a customer who I just built a 14 foot float rod for and used Janns Flexlite guides with TiCh finish. My customer said the freeze-up rate was very low compared to ceramic insert guides.

One rod had Janns guides and the other do had SIC guides of the same size, and the SIC guides iced-up after about 3-4 drifts, and the Flexlite guides would have to cleaned out after about an hour. (30-40 drifts)

He also said the line felt reel smooth running through them. ANDE 10# backcountry was used.

Just some good real-world info for you guys to digest...

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WINTER RESULTS with Jannsnetcraft Flexlite guides are in..
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 10:02PM

What did you use for a tip top?

Date: February 12, 2007 10:12PM

A FUJI SIC, the fear of grooving overcame me.,..LOL.

Paul

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 11:00PM

Jeez, an honest man!! Thanks for sharing the info, Paul.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: February 12, 2007 11:02PM

Yor welcome sir...Anytime....

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 09:06AM

From the sunny south - Honesty is certainly appreciated - But please tell me one thing - Do people actually fish when water freezes in guide rings?

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: February 13, 2007 10:39AM

Bill - my favorite time of year to fish is when icing is not only a possibility, but expected :-) Ice fishing is too fun for words if you are an insane northerner like myself. This Friday I'll be on Lake Superior amongst the Apostle Islands (extreme northern Wisconsin), jigging for 20lb lake trout in 200 feet of water - all through 8-12" of ice. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Posted by: Brian Folz (---.mgh.org)
Date: February 13, 2007 10:49AM

Thanks for the info Paul. A question I have is, since the tip top freezes first and worst when fishing in the cold (and you're running SIC's as tip top regardless) what's the difference in a day on the water? I don't know what the answer is, but I'm building a noodle of a float rod with Fuji titanium framed SIC's throughout, with an 8 mm tip top, in hopes the big guides won't screw up my action too much and so it'll stave off the deep freeze for a few extra casts. Hope it works!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 11:52AM

Brian Folz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info Paul. A question I have is,
> since the tip top freezes first and worst when
> fishing in the cold (and you're running SIC's as
> tip top regardless) what's the difference in a day
> on the water? I don't know what the answer is,
> but I'm building a noodle of a float rod with Fuji
> titanium framed SIC's throughout, with an 8 mm tip
> top, in hopes the big guides won't screw up my
> action too much and so it'll stave off the deep
> freeze for a few extra casts. Hope it works!
>
It's allot easier to clear one guide as opposed to the top 4 to 6 guides.
As for going to the #8 sic's this will definitely retard ice up but it does noticeably affect performance.
I have 2 15 foot Hardy float rods one tied with #6 sic's on the tip section and one tied with #8's. The one tied with the #8's is noticeably mushier and doesn't recover nearly as fast as the one tied with the #6's. To tell you the truth I'm contemplating replacing the guides on the mushy rod just because I don't like the feel I get with the heavier guides.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 12:23PM

Paul :

Coming down from the big empty to fish greaser's on Lk Superior?

Winter fishing is great especially in the lower 48, it freezes out all the fair weather fisherman who show up in mass when the weather is far more favoratible. Nothing like seeing a Steelhead race 20 ft to slam a plug in the dead of winter. Haven't tried recoil guides, but have used slightly oversized (Sz 4) SF wire fly guides with TiCH coating and Stanley ice paste and have to remove the ice from the guides about the same as recoil guides.

Good luck fishing for those sounders, can't release any of them because by the time you get them up from that deep they have the bends, we have that problem in the summer time when you can't keep them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster