I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How long before you finish your wraps?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 06:44AM

How long do you leave your wraps on the rod before you finish them with the final epoxy finish? My concern is that the thread might loosen a bit before I finish the rod. What I do is wrap all the sections and then finish them off. It might be a couple of weeks before the wraps see the final finish.
Bill Giokas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long before you finish your wraps?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:43AM

I have left them for weeks without a concern.I have been known to wrap tin foil around them to prevent dust from settleing or other contamination from settleing in.I sometimes start a butt wrap and dont finish for months as other rods get started for other people and are not as important as mine.Bottom line is to keep it clean.Not sure if a coat of CP will offer any benefit,it may creat a problem with moisture from the air if it is humid.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 09:17AM

Bill I normally do mine with in a day or two.
But one thing you can do that will help if you have a problem. Is to leave the tag ends on until you are ready to apply the epoxy. That way if they should loosen a little bit you can pull the tag ends to tighten them up again. Also the tag will aid in preventing the problem in the first place.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 11:08AM

I usually finish the wraps right after I do them unless it's too late. I have waited several days and just blew them off with canned air first. That is not a real good idea though - it just sends all the dust airborne. Now I use a little vacuum brush attachment. I have a box fan with a good filter taped on that I setup by the vacuum's exhaust.

I like the above ideas. Have to remember them.

My problem is that I start looking at them and decide I don't like the way I did the inlays or trim bands, or I decide to redo them in a different color.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 12:03PM

i never have time to wrap my guides and epoxy them in the same day....the rod i just got done with the guides were wrapped one day then about a week later i put the epoxy on and everything is fine

i dont think you should have a problem with them loosening if you wrap the guides good and tie them off good

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 01:52PM

If I can't finish right away for whatever reason, I wrap them in the self sticking seran wrap to seal them up and keep out dust. Put the CP on later. Never thought about leaving the tags for tightening later. Excellent idea Steve ! I love these little tricks of the trade !

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 11:12PM

My goodness, someone needs to archive this thread and make it a chapter in a book. What a neat collection of ideas!

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 11:20PM

I'm like Chuck; I like to wrap the guides and put the finish on them. That doesn't always work, but even when I take two evenings to wrap them, I take the time that second night to put the finish on them. I'm always afraid of contamination, dust, etc. and just like to get them done ASAP.

When I can't put the finish on, I just put a paper towel over each one (fresh off the roll) and leave it in the rod room like that until the next evening.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 06:56PM

I make sure I keep a very soft artist's brush to brush off the wraps if they've set for any length of time uncovered.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 03:16AM

I left bare wraps unfinished for as long as 18 months without any adverse affects. In that instance, I guess I consider it a lucky happenstance. Typically, I seal wraps within 24 hours with CP or PermaGloss.

Posted by: Ron Petley (---.autobahnaccess.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:13PM

I will leave them for months but tack them down with CP in key spots so they do not come loose, then I do a final coat of CP just befor I put on the epoxy.
Cheers Ron.

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (163.116.147.---)
Date: August 18, 2021 03:42PM

I know an Old post... but just the Answer I was looking for!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster