I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
inspiration
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 12:46PM

right then with hugh point a few days away lets see where you get your inspiration for designs/ colours from

me ??
billy vivona for his outstanding mind blowing patterns,
sean endres and michael joyce for colours
tom kirkman for the never ending stream of knoledge ( including every page of the rodmaker mag by heart)
raymond adams for the funny emails (they keep me sane i swear)
cliff hall for the mathmatics (i dont understand but genius)
the wife for putting up with me
thanks guys

how about you?????????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: inspiration
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 12, 2007 01:24PM

Allen Forsdyke for brown nosing

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:18PM

Customers! Jesse

Date: February 12, 2007 02:20PM

not brown nosing just seeing if we all look to the same people for inspiration or not

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:55PM

Just a joke Allen that sometimes does not translate well here. I've found inspiration here also. Doc Ski would have to be at the top of my list. Probably one of the best when it comes to weaving but also spends the extra time teaching and helping others in order to perpetuate rod building.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:56PM

My faith. Clemens books. This site!!

Bill in WV

Date: February 12, 2007 03:40PM

Scott Youschak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Allen Forsdyke for brown nosing

joke taken as intended scott LOL

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:16PM

RodMaker Magazine is the undisputed Champion of Inspiration and accurate information on all aspects of custom rod building. There really is nothing to compare to its scope and detail in covering the craft. The articles are easy to read with photos guide us where a picture is needed. Next comes the contributions to this Forum. Whether in discussion or through photos; the many talented people here are the life blood of creativity. Best of all is the friendly attitude in which all ideas are shared. Rodbuilding.org sets a very high standard for web forums. Frankly I have not found another to match it's quality. The motto of the Army Medical Corps Battalion I served in was "Non Pareil"; which is a French term meaning "Without Equal". That sums up my regard for both RodMaker and Rodbuilding.org.

Whenever Raymond Adams and I are at our respective work tables on opposite coasts of this great land we keep an open chat window on msn messenger. It's a pleasure to kick around ideas with Ray. We also chew over items which come up on the Forum and most of the time we find ourselves in agreement. I was looking forward to finally meeting him face to face at the Expo but that plan did not pan out. Even so, we are good friends and have already started discussing next years event.

I must tip my hat to Tom K. for making this kind of connection possible with the Forum. It is also great to count Tom as a friend.

It would be impossible for me to start naming all those who have inspired me; but there are a few, like Tom, to whom I feel particularly grateful. Whether for their inspiring work. or their generous sharing of information, or both; here is my list in random order:

William Bartlett
Andy Dear
Italo Busi
Scott Bazinet
Rob Hardaway
Raymond Adams
Randy "Putter" Parpart
Billy Vivona
Jim Upton
Terry Hensen
Eden Bromfield
Joe Emig
Larry Tysinger
Mike Joyce
Hiro Tanaka
Mark Crouse
Andy Renzetti
Bill Stevens
Fred Knowlton
Spencer Phipps

and I'm just getting up to speed here...

Date: February 12, 2007 04:35PM

I must add Mike Barkley for his extremely generous sharing of tutorials and other form of sound information. I don't know when he finds time to do any rod building.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:57PM

Gee Dave....I thought I was the only one chatting with Ray through MSN on a daily basis.

His jokes keep me sane and his advice keeps me wrapping rods.

I would like to add Cliff Hall to the general list as well.

For nothing less than remembering who I am and emailing me the single most detailed reply to an emailed inquiry I HAVE EVER RECEIVED. He is not just a math go.....he is damn thorough as well!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: February 12, 2007 05:02PM

Hey Ray.. Have you been two-timing me?

Dave

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 05:33PM

Doc.... For the insperation to take up the weaving

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:35PM

For inspiration, my dad first and foremost for teaching me that if a man can do it, you can do it.

Doc and Stan Grace rate right up there with him, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:10PM

I dunno, when I first started out the only inspiration I had was looking n the Custom Rod Thread Art book. All the patterns I have I made up using VisualWRap, so I gotta thank Dave Boyle for that. I have spent countless hours talking with Mike Joyce about general rodbuilding stuff, it's a shame we live so far apart. Seane Endres & Victor GHini have both influenced my wrapping style, especially lately.

But for the most part, I come up with most of the stuff on my own, as I think most of us do. There are a lot of Thread HEads & Foam Domes who's work I admire, Doc, Hiro, Jim Upton, James Kasteroff, Pat Vinczant, Mike Crictton, Bernie Cohen (he did influence me a lot, sorry I didn't mention him above), Mark Crouse, DEnnis Papike, severl others as well.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 09:13PM

Billy has inspired me the most cause he made me angry on my first post by pointing out all my gaps then adding a tip to help me out. All those metioned in CRTA including Cam Clark and BD Ehler

The "Doc Ski" by far. I was blown away the first time he made a comment on one of my wraps, tried to explain to my wife that one of the best in the biz, liked my wrap. (she didn't understand my enthusiasm)

Modern day internet inspiration comes from Mark Crous, Hiro Tanaka(rules!!) Jim Upton, Jim K (I'll misspell it), Terry Henson.....and others I could babble off, but I'm tired, don't be offended!!

Impressive??? Seane Endres , Al Ciner, and Victor G's. Tightest most bizarrely colorful wraps I've seen to date.

Thanks for all your help and inspiration, (gotta get back to that Double Gargoyle plus/minus/plus4 thingy)

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 09:27PM

i would have to say :
tom kirkman who is so busy, but always has time to answer any questions or concerns we may have.
mark griffin for his endless supply of help since i started this wonderful craft a year ago.
cliff hall, mike barkley, ray adams, big john, and so many others that take their time ang get us newbies headed back in the right direction. billy v, michael joyce , mark crouse, terry henson, and the many many others that strive for utter perfection in the unbeleiveable artwork that they turn out. this web site, and rodmaker magazine. my dad who believes in me for the rods that i have been turning out, but most of all for an awesome GOD who has shown me how to have patience like we have to have in rod building.
thanks to all of you, whether you were mentioned in this post or not. you are all an inspiration, and it shows in the work you turn out, and the advice that you freely give.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 10:50PM

For inspiration all I have to do is think about kids. Especially a small boy in Slidell, LA
and an 8yr. old with Muscular Dystrophy here in Sacramento. Both these kids have gone
thru more than most people do in there entire life and yet they can smile and carry on like
most any other kid. Makes my problems and struggles seem small by comparison. They
inspire me to do my best and not sweat the small stuff.

Dale Clemmens deserves my vote because without his books I would have never started.

For ideas, suggestions, and bursts of energy I rely on this forum, the photo section and
RodMaker Mag. The eye candy posted on the photo section is absolutely the tastiest
stuff I have EVER seen. The help freely given by EVERYONE was unheard of when I first
started.

Of course Doc Ski, Jim Upton. Terry Henson, Jim Kastorff, Mike Barkley & others are at the
top of my list. I would like to extend a BIG attaboy to the NERBS for constantly
pushing the bar higher & higher in the world of crosswraps!

Derek McMaster and Dave Gilberg keep me on my toes and provide LOTS of credible banter
and insightful conversation.

BTW, most of the funnies & joke emails I send are forwarded to me by MANY other rod builders
I just remove the addresses before I send them on out of courtesy.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 11:39PM

A special Kudos to Billy Vivona. One thing I noticed not long after I started visiting
RBO is that Billy "calls the kettle black" (as my dad like to say) and that sometimes
can rub people the wrong way. In fact, I told Billy once "to take a chill pill". I statement
that I later regreted making. Sometimes you just got to say it like it is if you really want
someone to learn. We all try extra hard to be nice and respectful and thats what I enjoy
about this forum most. No FLAMING HERE!! Sometimes though you just got to call the
kettle black and Billy is one who can do that very well!! LOL!

Keep up the good job Billy!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 11:53PM

I have held off on this post, because I don't really know where to start!! I have gotten inspiration, in one form or another, from just about everyone that posts here!!. Don't want to list names, because YOU ARE ALL an inspiration and I owe you all big time!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 02:54PM

Ray,

I'll agree with you 100% when it comes to Billy. He's called me on the carpet a time or 2 or 3 LOL!! But in his defense, and Billy no disrespect intended, He's from New York City!! I've never known anyone from there who doesn't call it as he or she see's it. Once you meet him though, a nicer guy ( or more helpful ) you'll never find.

Bill in WV

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster