I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matte finish on epoxy?
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 02:11PM

I'm about to start on an FTL 905-6. In an effort to lessen the visual "busy - ness" of the rod, I'm toying with the idea of modifying the finish on the ferrule wraps. The reasoning (rightly or wrongly so feel free to jump in here) is that 5 ferrule wraps with 10 guide wraps will be somewhat overwhelming. I'll make the ferrule wraps as short as possible (2-2.5 X ferrule diameter) but I'm also wondering if there is a way to effectively create a matte finish on epoxy. Ideally the finish would be identical to that of the rod. I'm looking for some chemical or process (e.g. heat or mixture modification) means to do this rather than some mechanical (e.g. post hardening scuffing with sandpaper) method.
Has anybody tried to do this?
Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matte finish on epoxy?
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 06:05PM

My suggestion would be to lightly buff the epoxy at the ferrules that covers a matching blank colored thread, with a fine gray scotchbrite pad until the sheen disappears. To me that is the simplest procedure, So why invent a high tech way of basically doing the same thing? lots of guys cheat there static test one way or the other to incorporate a guide into the ferrule wrap and thus reduce the amount of wraps required, but I am not a big proponent of on-ferrule guiding, especially the lower ferrules. But with so many sections and corresponging ferrules, I'd consider on-ferrule guiding at least on the upper ferrules

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: February 06, 2007 09:14PM

I know the busy-ness that you refer to and it offends my eye and my sense of order too. My tastes most often run to the conservative and traditional. You didn't mention the color scheme or layout for your rod but they could be contributors. I think that single foot guides help. Aside from my opinion that single foot guides help produce a better performing rod, the number of wraps are reduced too and there isn't as much visual clutter. If you're using the double foot snake guides, you might consider single foot altenatives. Also, I generally avoid trim bands on the snake guides although I have seen some color combinations that don't offend too much. I'll apply alternating trim bands and other cosmetic treatments to the butt wrap and the stripper guides but I normally leave the wraps on the snake guides a single, primary color. Choosing a color that doesn't contrast sharply with the blank color may be a possibilty too.

I've never tried to get a matt finish on epoxy. You might want to consider using a few coats of Permagloss instead of epoxy. The PG is thinner than epoxy and it takes a number of coats to get the visual effect of epoxy. You might be able to apply enough coats of PG that it will adequately protect the wraps but stop short of the thick, glassy appearance of epoxy resulting in a "softening" of the finish. Good luck.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Scott Olson (---.sub-174-213-162.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2024 10:13AM

I have build that the customer and I think is going to look best with a matte finish on the guide wraps. The only post I could find that addressed this was from 16years ago. So I thought I'd bring the topic up and see if anyone has found a new method. I'd really like to find a finish. Not have to go back and sand a gloss finish to create the look.
Thanks

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 02, 2024 01:20PM

Just throwing this out there because I haven't done it myself....

What if you used some Helmsman Spar Urethane varnish in Matte finish for your thread wraps?

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: February 02, 2024 01:30PM

It seems that epoxy naturally turns to a matte finish when it ages and gets exposed to UV.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2024 04:18PM

Klass Kote makes a flattener additive for their 2 part clear epoxies and urethanes. Not sure if anyone else does.

[www.klasskote.com]

Years ago I saw a new Japanese made rod with matte finished wraps and I remember it looked really sharp.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 03, 2024 08:22AM

I believe that using regular wrap epoxy then a top coat of matte finish exterior polyurethan will do the job nicely. Don't use a product not called "exterior."

Do a test wrap to see how it looks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 03, 2024 09:05AM

Steven,
Here is a previous post - that discusses -- giving a Matte finish to an epoxy finish:

[www.rodbuilding.org].

-------------------
Quotes from other locations:

[www.google.com]

--------------------
A common agent is baby powder or talc - that is added to the finish to give the finish a Matte look.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster