I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sealing an insert
Posted by: Daniel Siminski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 09:13PM

Hey Guys,
I just turned my fisrt reel seat insert. It was a celluloid pen blank. When I was wet sanding it on the lathe I noticed that when the lathe stopped that the some of the water absorbed into the insert. Is celluloid different than acrylic? The flyrod is going to be used for saltwater. I actually turned two inserts, so on one I put some tru-oil and the other I was thinking about coating it with Threadmaster. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sealing an insert
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 09:40PM

Celluloid and acrylic needs no type of finish. Just wet sand to 400 grit and if you have some micro mesh start off at 2400 grit and work up the seven grits up to 12000. If you don't have MM wet sand to 400 or 600 grit and polish on a buffing wheel with Tripoli, then white diamond. One more way is to wet sand to 400 or 600 grit then polish with an automotive scratch remover polish. You can put a coat or two of wax after but it isn't necessary.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2007 10:37PM

Right, it won't soak up anything and will only need periodic buffing to retain a high degree of luster. You don't want to put Tru-Oil or epoxy on it.

My method is similar to Lance's but perhaps a few steps shorter. Just sand through all the various grades up through 400, 600 and 800 in SIC wet/dry paper. Then switch to a loose wheel with good old fashioned DICO Plastic Compound (blue) and lightly buff. The shine will amaze you. That's all there is to it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 11:12PM

Pretty much the same here I use some Hut liguid plastic polish on a cloth and hit it while on the lathe and it looks likee glass!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Daniel Siminski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 11:26PM

thanks for the input. I wetsanded then used the auto polish, I was pleased with the results. I guess I can polish off the tru-oil or would it be o.k. to leave it on?

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 11:32AM

i was advised one time that some of the acrylics/celluloid/etc were hydroscopic. it was not determined which ones did this. i have used them without any finish and i have cast some in polyester as well. i am no scientist,but i dont believe it is necessary to put a finish on them. if you take off the tru oil you can get a higher luster. any of the plastic polishes work well on the lathe as well as a white block on a buffer. sand it at least to 800 grit and it is not necessary to wet sand it if you have good paper and lower rpms. email if you have any questions

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster