I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flocked rubber shrink tube
Posted by: Chris Means (---.unknwn.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 09:07PM

I got some of this in ID .984 to go on a rod with a butt OD .63. It says it will shrink 30-50% of original ID. Now that I have recieved this material it appears to be way to big. Will it shrink enough to be used with this rod or do I have to re-order?

Let's fish,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flocked rubber shrink tube
Date: January 12, 2007 09:09PM

Oh yeah,
And what is the best way to shrink this stuff?

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 09:10PM

It should shrink to almost 1/2 it's size. At least the brand we sell does.

If you have doubts, trim an inch off of it's length if you can spare it, put it on the smallest diameter of the blank where it will be applied and put the heat to it.

A hair dryer on high should do it, but a heat gun's faster. Don't try it with a torch.

You're not putting it directly ON the blank are you?

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2007 09:11PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2007 10:34PM

With this type material, you have the option of doing an underwrap or underwind with cord. Something to provide some "texture" or finger grips, such as an X wind. Then, shrink the material over the cord wrap. It's a good product.

Date: January 13, 2007 02:52AM

X wind, where can I find it or can I make my own? I haven't applied it yet, I was going to ask if I need to do something to the inside.

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2007 03:49AM

Tom's just talking about cord like Butt Cord.

There are some things you need to know and do before you just shrink the tube on there, but that varies by grip style. What ever you're doing, you're probably going to want some cushion between the tube & the blank or it's not going to be very comfortable. There's no give to the shrink tube at all. It's more of a cover than a raw grip. 90% of it's installed over cork tape or foam tape so it's not so harsh on your hands. Cord over cork tape is pretty common under X-Flock.

Before you get any further, what kind of grip are you building? Is there a seat involved, or are you doing a deckhand style grip?

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 13, 2007 08:08AM

Cut a small test piece, place it on blank, and shrink it. That will tell you for sure if it will shrink enough. I use this material often on heavy surf rods (heavers).

Make sure the flock pattern is lined up as needed, not twisted, or offset from the axis of the the guides. I like to use a thin coat of rod finish on the rod blank before shrinking the material down using a commercial grade heat gun. Cinch down the ends next to the reel seat with thread and finish.

Lou

Date: January 13, 2007 03:43PM

I was hoping to use a plate seat with it.
I am not going to put this rod together for probably another couple of weeks. I am going to the ISE in Sac and I am going to meet up with someone. I don't want build it until I come back with some more info. It will be the third rod I have built.

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 10:11AM

try pouring hot water over it if you dont want to put a heat gun near your blank. it may take a bit longer but you can be sure you dont `burn `the blank (or the shrink tube) i use the stuff all the time on my surf rods (a lot heavier than the us models my blanks are 13 foot long 8 oz and 32mm in diameter) i gently sand the ends and wrap onto the tube then fininsh with epoxy as you would when finishing a butt wrap

never had a problem direct on the blank (neither have daiwa or ABU) do a search for a rod from daiwa called a supercast and youll see the effect

Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2007 11:56AM

Chris,

My product, Nu-Skin Rod Armor does have a 50% shrink factor. I recommend the use of a hot air gun, the ones used for paint stripping. A hair dryer will work as long as the blower is on the low speed setting. My product has minimal longitudinal shrinkage. It comes in 4 different sizes to fit all applications from small diameter surf blanks to large diameter foregrips. It can be used in the repair of cork tape, cork rings, hypalon or EVA. It can also be used in the assembly of a new rod.

I also supply a 2 tape products specifically designed to attach the Rod Armor to the blank. The first is a thin closed cell foam tape which will give a new application a softer feel for use directly on the blank. The second is a flat Mylar tape for use when repairing existing rods. Both tape products are designed not to break down the PE base material of the Nu-Skin Rod Armor.

I have numerous rod manufactures using the Nu-Skin Rod Armor in their product process. It is also being used widely on the fresh water bass tournament trail on their rods to increase the grip.

If you have any specific questions, call me at the shop at 626-963-1142.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 01:25PM

Tim mentions "minimal longitudinal shrinking" which raises a question I've been wanting to ask some of you who've been using the shrink-tube products. How do you calculate the longitudinal shrinkage in order to ensure proper fit to the reel seat, fighting butt, etc?

thanks,
Clyde

Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2007 02:14PM

Clyde,

The bulk raw material manufacture I buy my raw PE tube from prior to processing states a 3% longitudinal shrinkage. I have found that because the material is thicker that most products on the market, the product will shrink less than 1/4" for every 12".

I have also developed a spray adhesive kit that you can use under the Nu-Skin Rod Armor that dries over a 15 minute time frame and is slippery enough for you to reposition the Rod Armor. There are other applications for this adhesive that I will be introducing. This was one on the new products I was going to announce and release at the Rod Building Expo.

Clyde twisted my arm and made me tell!!!

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 06:44PM

Tim, thanks... see you next month!

clyde

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster