I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Floatrod guides
Posted by: Mike Bohem (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: January 06, 2007 06:43AM

I plan on going with titanium guides and my current build and do not want to be stuff with $100 worth of guides that are wrong. Are the fuji TLVSG guides a higher frame guide?

Also has anyone used the fuji power angle sics(YSG) on a floatrod?

Thank you
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Floatrod guides
Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2007 11:37AM

Let me ask you, why high frames? Way overkill on a float rod IMHO. A float rod when used with a centrepin reel is basically a upside down baitcaster, no? Ive built a bunch of float rods and am finding that mid frames(like the ones u mentioned);tapered down the inserted fly guides are giving me the best preformance and least weight....Size of guide ring is important too...If you gonna be fishing in the winter with the rod, Id consider using a size 8 guide as your smallest guide with a size 8 tip top. It helps alot with ice up issue. If ice up isnt a concern, 7's or 6's would be appropriate.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Date: January 07, 2007 10:05AM

I plan on doing two rods one with high frames one with mid frames. I'm just finding it a little confusing on what frame is what for fuji in thier titanium series

Date: January 07, 2007 10:07AM

TLVSG would be a mid frame then?

I second that question
Posted by: Brian Folz (---.dhcp.mrqt.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 07, 2007 11:26AM

I'm building an ultralight noodle of a float rod for a spinning reel too (not a pinner with this application, skinny water lite terminals) and am assuming high profile guides would be the way to go as well, with an oversize tip top. This rod will be running spectra braid mostly, and occasionally a floating mono when it's cold. Any guide recommendation out there (basically the same question as above, so also in need). Thanks in advance, Brian

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2007 11:44AM

Take the "T" off the front and you can match it the height of the same series with the remaining letters. LVSG is a high frame versus something like the NSG.

I would recommend high frames for the first two or three and then super low frames from there on out. Most likely a fly type ceramic, such as the TSG.

Date: January 07, 2007 11:58AM

ok thanks tom thats what I thought just wanted confirmation on that. Didn't wanted to get into the high frame vs low frame because searching back through previous posts I see that its been gone over and over. Thanks again guys

Mike

Date: January 07, 2007 12:16PM

Thanks. I think that is helpful. . .transitioning down to lo-profile in mid blank,

Brian

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 07, 2007 06:56PM

MIKE...

Before you take the $100 plunge, another option for guides for float rods, ate the "Flex-lites" by Jannsnetvraft in the TiCh finish. I have put these on two rods now and many more to follow. I agree with Danny with his opinion on Hi-frame guides-they add weight-regardless of what frame and insert compared to these new Flexlites.

Also, Tom K hit the nail on the head with the guide size and what the first 2 guides should be. All my float rods will have the 20 and 16 hi-frame, then getting the line to the rod like it has been said works really well. But give the flexlites a try-they work well on a float rod...especially 15'er's.

Paul

Date: January 07, 2007 08:09PM

Paul, et al,

The Flex-lites sound like a nice light option. It sounds like a no-brainer, but are they springy like the REC recoil guides? I'm wondering if that would maybe be advantageous for "bending" the ice outta the guides on the ones I can reach. Also would I be right in supposing that the TiCH finish would be resilient to running braids and other junk out of them? Thanks for straightening me out,

Brian

Date: January 07, 2007 10:31PM

Brian....

No they are not springy like the REC's. I seew hat your saying about bending them for ice removal...But I think it has been stated by some of the people more experienced than I, as to not bend them repeatedly. And from what I have been learned, that the braid would woprk well with these guides. But I hope you don'y use braied line for float fishing. Just my .02 if you have already and like it continue. I personally loath braided line cause it absorbse water and then sinks in the surface film of the water. I ran ANDE 10# Backcountry with the guides and landed many 1015# Coho's with no problem..so far. Just make sure you don't drop below a SZ 7. The 6's are great for fishing when no ice is going to form. But the 7 are a little higher as well...

Good luck fellow floater...

Paul

Date: January 07, 2007 10:56PM

Aha. Thanks on that advice. This site rocks.

I'm sold on my system for certain apps (at least for now, til I find something better!). I run thin diameter Spectra, and grease it up with some floatant every so often to check da bobber like a dream. That said, every fish-tether has its "charms", and I have nearly gone homicidal when mine has a bad day.

Wish I had big silvers like that where I live. Thanks and take care,

B

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2007 11:13PM

Paul,

I got this 13'6" sage blank here to tie up, but i cant bring myself to throw a "cheap" set of flexlites on it? im sure theyre nice cuz ive used the recoils and like em, but the fact that they are inexpensive has me hesitant to put em on a $350 blank??? LOL, us floaters are worse than most builders....i got centrepins and rods out the arse and no time to fish em...LOL

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Date: January 08, 2007 02:19PM

Brian..'
Glad to hear I could help out a fellow floater!!! Let me know how you like them when you get it done.

Danny..

I see what you are saying man. Ya know if I was in your shoes, I think I would still put the REC on that big$$ float rod of yours. Becuae if you don't like them..well, you know what that means..LOL I'm putting them on a Raven 15 footer as we speak. I know what you mean by all these pins...and no time to fish!!
Take care..

Paul

Date: January 09, 2007 05:39AM

Thanks again guys. Paul those guides definitely look interesting I will give them a try on a future build for sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster