I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Business Ethics Question
Posted by: Craig Saveal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 07:12PM

I'm a long time lurker and learner here but this is my first post. It is about something that has been causing me to lose sleep and I thought some of you fine rod buildes here that operate your own rod building businesses might be able to guide me. I took early retirement at 62. For the last 3 years I have been slowly building a nice little rod repair and rod building business. I have a decent amount of customers in the east Texas coast area. We are getting ready to have an artificial reel built along hundreds of miles of our coastline by the Recreational Fishing Alliance and the future for fishing and custom fishing rods looks promising.

At least two other locals have started building rods within the past year. I don't mind. But about five weeks ago I met a former customer at a local boat dock and he said that he was buying his rods from one of my competitors now because that competitor had shown him a rod that was supposedly one I built and that it was deficient in several key areas. He said the builder told him that there was a lot about my knowledge and rod building skills that were lacking. This made me so mad I probably turned red. In the next week I heard from another local fishermen the same sort of stories also coming from this same rod builder. This man is also telling fishermen that I'm using blems and seconds and selling them as first quality.

My first thought was to hire an attorney and see what could be done that way. But I'm on a fixed income other than what I bring in from my rod building business and it's just not something I can afford. I believe I am seeing a loss in business because of what this competitor is saying about me. It's all false but I have no way of stating my case to the potential customers he is telling this to because I have no way of knowing who all he is talking to each day.

My thought was to put up some sort of poster at a few marinas and boat docks where I know the owners in order to set the record straight. I would appreciate any other ideas that might help me straighten things out and get some of my business back.

I apologize if this is not appropriate content for this website and if it has to be deleted I'll understand. It's just that I'm mad as heck about this and have not had a good nights sleep in almost a month. You people all seem pretty decent to me and I thought I would pick the brains of rod builders who have been at this a lot longer than I have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Business Ethics Question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 08:02PM

I think that I would bite the bullet and talk to an attorney. It may cost you more up front but pay in the long run. Also, have you confonted the builder? Maybe threaten a slander suit

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2006 08:11PM

I think one good letter from a GOOD lawyer will shut the guy up, and will be easy on your wallet.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 24, 2006 08:29PM

Why are they taking his word over yours?

Posted by: Brent Salfen (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 08:40PM

I'm not a professional builder, but I would MAKE SURE the people you are speaking to are telling you the truth about what the other rod-builder is saying. Some folks just like to stir up trouble between folks. I would even ask the third rod-builder if this same guy is slandering him as well. If he is getting the same type of crap- then it likely is no coincidence. You should take the high road, but that doesn't mean you should be a patsy either. You could have someone you trust (but who he doesn't know from Adam) go to him and act like an interested rod-buyer, and see if he goes down the slander road after your name is mentioned. I think conversations via a hidden tape recorder would be inadmissible (and maybe illegal) unless both sides know they are being recorded- but make sure your mole has a very good memory. After you know for sure he is doing this, I would then go the lawyer route. A simple letter may be all it takes.

By all means, keep us updated.

Posted by: Craig Saveal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 08:47PM

I've done that. He is saying some pretty bad things about me and the rods I build. He has a guide service and so he meets a lot of fishermen and has a good following. I wondered why some of them just stopped dropping by. He's younger than me and is out and about more than I am. It's not like he's put up a billboard saying my rods aren't any good, but in his private conversations with fishermen and potential rod customers he's misleading them about me. I won't go into detail but some of the things he's said have me seeing red.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 24, 2006 08:49PM

I will ask my daughter-in-law what can be done. She is in Austin studying for her bar exam. She will be here tomorrow. However, people like the guy you are having problems with normally don't hang around for very long. I wouldn't worry about it personally. Are you in the Houston area?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2006 08:54PM

Craig,

First off, your competitor is doing this because he is not able to compete with you by fair means. So you should be a bit flattered.

Now I'm going to give you a bit of conflicting advice from what others have said, but I have some experience with this sort of thing and I can promise you that if you do what I tell you, all will be well in the long run.

Here's a guaranteed method for dealing with this situation - do absolutely nothing. Say absolutely nothing. Do not even bring the matter up with anyone. That's all there is to it. Just ignore it no matter how hard it may be to do so.

I know you're angry and it will be hard to bite your tongue at times, but stay out of the fray and do not respond in any way to any of the falsehoods or claims being made against you. If a potential customer asks you directly about something your competitor has said, correct him by telling him that what he has heard is false, but do not go off on your competitor. If you do anything, simply direct your energy to making your product better than your competitor's and refuse to be drawn into any sort of feud or argument. Do nothing. Say nothing. Do not address his claims.

I know this is hard, but in the long run you'll find that potential customers will see through what he's up to. Be professional and stay on the high road. It might be tough for a bit but in the long run you'll be glad you took this particular course of action.

Posted by: Stanley Schaefer (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 10:50PM

I know I'm a newbie to this forum, but I can't resist saying AMEN to Tom's advice. I don't claim to know a lot about business, but it seems to me that if you spend a lot of time worrying about what others are saying, you'll have a lot more sleepless nights. If you let him drag you into the mud, you'll probably get dirty too. Maybe I'll never make it big in business, but I'd be miserable chasing negative comments with lawsuits. I'd rather stay away from the negatives and try to let quality and integrity win in the end.

Craig, I live close to the coast in Southeast Texas. I live just north of Beaumont. As I stated in my first post a few days ago, I've been away from rod building for a few years, but I'm getting it going again. There was only one rod builder that I knew of in our area when I first started, and he was really negative. I used to go see him to try to learn as much as I could, and he spent all of his time bad-mouthing people in the business, and he was pretty mean to me. I think he viewed me as potential competition. I finally quit going to see him. I'm not even sure if he's still in business. I'm going to start building rods again for others in the future, but I don't want the pressure of producing a lot of them. I'm still trying to get things going, but please feel free to contact me if you ever want to talk about rod building, or maybe we could wet a hook.

Good luck and I wouldn't lose too much sleep. Life's too good and too short to let a jerk like that bother you. I think if you're honest to your customers and you build and promote good quality to them, you'll come out on top.

Stanley
sschaefer2@gt.rr.com

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 11:21PM

Craig,

I must agree completely with Tom on this one. This type of person appears in every walk of life and the only way they can "get ahead" is to attempt to defame or destroy others. We have all run into them and it is unpleasant every time. However, looking back we are still here and they are gone (often in amazing flames of disgrace). Their unethical behavior and their inferior product (regardless of endeavor) always, always, is their undoing. It may take time and it may be difficult to endure while you're in the midst; but your ability to adhere to a high ethical code of behavior and your finished product will speak volumes for you rather than against you in the eyes of your clients.

I don't know why people even take the time to listen to someone who only wants to tear down another person or undermine their achievements; but many do. This does not necessarily mean they agree or follow the poor advice given. Unfortunately, neither does it mean they take the time to refute what the guy is saying to his face. Spend time with your clients and educate them on the components and methods you utilize. Well informed clients won't tolerate someone criticizing your efforts and can refute untrue statements with facts and perhaps expose the guy in front of others. Consider a follow-up survey of your clients to assess their satisfaction with your rods. This could be a good method for reinforcing the quality of the components and workmanship in every one of your rods, thereby creating another educational opportunity for your clients.

Another point of view is that any clients you might lose to misinformation and untruths spread by this guy are not really clients you wanted to have in the first place. Good, solid clients that know you and your work will hear the tales and refute them when armed with the truth about your approach to the craft and your customer service.

If this goes beyond talking behind your back, there may be additional options to explore.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Paul Kneller (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 25, 2006 02:07AM

Craig
I would take Tom's advice on this one. I made fishing lures here in Australia for 12 years and copped that sort of crap from jealous competitors for most of it. My favorite responce when someone came to me about a rumor they had heard from another luremaker was " I am far to busy with all the work I have on to respond!" Ignore it, don't get drawn into it, it will bring you down to his level. Cheers Paul.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 25, 2006 04:13AM

I totally agree with Tom and Paul. Let your product speak for you. Before I became a custom rod builder I sold expensive furniture is San Francisco. What I learned there was never down grade a competitor’s product. Just show your customers what your product can do and always tell them what is used in the construction of your product. Take my word for it. This guy well crash and burn, while you just keep building clientele.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 25, 2006 04:33AM

Don't waste your time defending accusations made from ignorance or with malice. It is better to use that time producing a well made product for those that do appreciate it. No one achieves long term success by demeaning the work of others.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2006 11:56AM

This may sound simple, but why don't you take the guy out to lunch to talk about rodbuilding? Not in a confrontational way, just in a friendly way. I have found that often times these things start not out of malice, but out of a misunderstanding. Maybe one of his clients had a very poorly built rod that he mistakenly thought was your product? I bet if you spend a little time with him the air will clear and you will find that he stops bad-mouthing you.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2006 12:22PM

The other thing you might consider is a constructive conversation with your customers talking about your product, without degrading your unethical competitor. This could be a letter, or just talking with customers as others have said, reinforcing the good points about your rods and your work, the quality of your components etc. Just reinforce the good things you do with your rods contradicting the points this other guy has made about your product. Maybe offer an open house for your current list of customers and show off a few things about your work.

Personally, I would have a hard time not doing anything but I do agree it does little good to go down the road of the responding "negative campaign". Too much like politics. Yes, eventually customers will see through this and come back around but this can take a long time.

Good luck.

Terry

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.stb.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: December 26, 2006 06:09AM

Hi All
When in this type of stuation ,the best advice is the advice of my dear old mother,
"when in doubt do nowt" just say it as it reads.
This guy cannot obviously complete in the market place on quality of goods so he has to be underhand in other ways.
"just sit back and watch it happen"
If his rods and repairs cut corners on build quality then it is he who will get all the returns/repairs to do.Unless by this time your old customers -his new customers dont want to deal with him anymore,they come back to you for repairs and rebuilds which I have seen happen many times.
Here in the UK i have been working in the tavkle industry for 22 years and i have seen these guys come and go.Customers show very little loyalty when the price is right.But i have picked up the pieces on more than one occassion.

So "when in doubl do nowt" and "sit back and watch it happen"

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 26, 2006 02:52PM

Why not send your Customers a thank you card, and invite them over to se how your rods are constructed and explain why you do certain things and you use certain products.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 03:03AM

Craig,

I have a couple of extra concrete necklaces and cement shoes around just in case you need them! Anyway, I concur with Tom as painful as this sounds to me-but I know that Tom is right. Doing what Tom suggests that he is a man of fine character, and by you following his advice would show you the same...

But if you ever need shoes,let me know. LOL.
Paul

Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 08:29PM

I was a better cop for 28 years than a rodbuilder for the last three, so let me draw on that police experience for my advice to you. Go to the guy's shop or business or whatever, sit down and tell him the things you have heard. Tell him that you can't believe that those things are true, but just wanted to let him know what people are saying about HIM, as you understand how hurtful that can be both to a business and personally. You should tell him that only a *$%%^*&^ would say things like that about an honest competitor , and you don;t suspect him to be that kind of person. Lastly, remind him that you are very involved in the fishing community and will certainly get back to him if you hear anyone else speaking ill of him. Certainly, he would want to take the appropriate legal action against such a person and, if you were witness to such a thing, you would certainly testify on his behalf in the lawsuit.

Throughout the conversation, make it painfully obvious you are not talking about HIM, but YOURSELF. Do this through facial expression, eye contact and body language. Last bit of advice, and most important: Only do this if you can control your temper and maintain the proper attitude throughout the contact. If you pull this off as advised, you will laugh out loud all the way home and never have another problem with the guy. If it doesn't work, maybe the cement shoes . . . (just joking)!

JC

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 27, 2006 08:37PM

I know it is a difficult situation to be in. I think everyone loses when a competitor has to bad-mouth another business to make themselves look good. I think your competitor is banking on a certain level of customer ignorance. The good news is that most customers will eventually see through his disguise.

Try to look at the situation in a positive light as an opportunity to improve your relationship with your customers. When one of them does mention that another builder has described your work in less than a positive term, ask the customer what he/she finds offensive about your work with an demeanor that you are more interested in improving your craft rather than focussing on a specific individual's opinions about your work. It might be a simple thing that did require change, or you may be able to help the customer realize how false the perception is.

Hope things work out for you.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster