I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod finish on whole rod?
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 11:48AM

I've fished on some charter boats that have had custom built rods on them in the 30-130 lb. class. It seems to me like the entire rod, from winding check to tip was "finished" (guides, blank, etc)

Am i imaginging things or is this the case?

Thanks for the insight in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod finish on whole rod?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2006 11:52AM

There would be no need to finish the entire rod, but do this. The problem is that most of the coatings that rod builders have the ability to apply in their own shops isn't likely to be extremely durable. It's not likely to hold up nearly as well as what the commercial rod companies can apply.

If you were to do this, PermaGloss or an exterior marine urethane would give the most durability at the least amount of extra weight. Rod building thread epoxies, i.e. Flex Coat, etc., are sometimes used but they are not designed for this. They don't adhere to the blank as well nor due they cure as hard nor as flexible as the urethanes.

Posted by: Matthew Birge (---.jck.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 03:48PM

on larger rods i and some other builders i know coat the whole blank, some of the blanks i use like gator glass has to be coated because they are rough finished, they are pretty ugly if you dont, ugly stick blanks are the same way. and some of the larger unlimited blanks are too. i have never had a problem with the performance due to coating the entire blank, just rub it down with a scotch brite first

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 06:35PM

This can get quite confusing - when are your coating the whole blank?

The heavy rods you are looking have underwraps that cover almost 80 to 90 percent of the entire blank to start with. The are very very short distances between the guide wraps on rods in the class you listed. Many are built on white blanks. It is easier when applying finish to just cover the whole thing in this case. The performance and weight of these rods is normally not worried about. The short distance of finish on the blank also protects the white blank surface from chipping.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: December 17, 2006 07:30PM

i think he saw them on the boat and asking it was true.. dont think he is doing up his rod this way

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: December 17, 2006 07:45PM

yes he was asking if what he saw was the case and yes it was, on larger rods we dont worry about weight, and it does hold up really well even in the commercial atmosphere like charter boats, and such. i do this for two reasons, most of my customers want something that will hold up from repeated beating and frequent fishing, so i coat the whole rod for a little extra durability and on some rods that the underwraps are so close together, you sould coat the whole thing to keep the wraps and the blank from being such a height contrast. since on the larger rods you do your underwrap. then coat, guide wrap, then coat, and a second guide wrap then coat so i usually coat the blank twice once after the first guide wraps then a final coat after the last guide wraps. so i hope this better explains the reason for your wonder

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 08:25PM

Thanks for the explanation. Certainly clarifies what I saw.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 08:58PM

when you coat the whole rod like that do you have to wrap the whole rod or can you just do your guide wraps and such and apply the epoxy where the blank is bare?

when you do that can you do it in sections? im asking this because im going to use a gator blank and if it looks ugly uncoated then ill have to coat it but i dont really have a lot of time all at once to do it

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 17, 2006 09:35PM

Gator is going to look ugly no matter what you do to it (Just Kiddin') I would do it all at once. You're only talking minutes extra to do the whole thing. If you do it in sections, it may not meld together and cause problems. Just curious! What type of fishing is this for? You do know that it will affect the rod's performance and weight which you may not want on anything but a HEAVy duty boat rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 17, 2006 11:36PM

20-50lb and 30-80lb class rods the gator is a 20-50 and the 30-80 i havent decided on yet

bottom fishing is what its going to be used for

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2006 11:36PM by jon edwards.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2006 12:35AM

Hi Jon,

I do it in sections. I mix 6cc of epoxy (3cc of each) and apply it until it starts to set. I stop at the end of a wrap (usually an underwrap). You can mix another batch then and continue or wait up to 24 hrs to continue. By stopping at the end of a wrap you will not see where you stopped and restarted.

Also before you start to wrap your blank use a grey Scotchrite pad to abrade the surface of the blank to a "Water Brake Surface". You can find Water brake surface in the Library section - Ralph O'Quinn.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2006 12:39AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Date: December 18, 2006 12:34PM

sweet! thanks

does anyone have a picture of a bare gator blank up close? im going to order one or so i thought i was but if its ugly then ill have to get something else

Date: December 18, 2006 01:38PM

i can send you pics of a ugly stick upclose they have the same finish as a gator glass, email me and ill send pics turbohatch2@yahoo.com

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 18, 2006 03:00PM

Doesn't the process of applying finish on the whole blank affect a rods performance or sensitivity? I wouldn't even consider applying a finish to any of my fresh water rods, but I could understand that because of their shorter or stouter design, some builders might consider doing it to tuna or halibut rods. When fishing in 60 to 360 feet of water, fighting current, and attaching 3 - 5 pound weights, I would not want to give up even the slightest bit of sensitivity. So to me, performance is as important in salt water situations as it would be using a high performance fresh water fly rod. While I also like durability, at what point is it ok to sacrifice performance?

I have seen some of the cheaper rods completely covered in finish, as if they were dipped, rather than sprayed or applied with a brush. But I think the reason why they were done that way was more a factor of expediancy and cost rather than concern for durability.

Merry Christmas.

Date: December 18, 2006 03:40PM

we talkin about large saltwater rods here, where there is no need for sensitivity, being that you usually use a 16 oz lead and a big chunk of bait or a large trolling lure at 14 knots, so sensitivity is not a factor when a 30lbs snapper or a 50lbs wahoo hits it you should be able to feel the bite if not, find another sport

Date: December 18, 2006 03:53PM

man if you cant feel when a 50lb wahoo hits theres no amount of sensitivity that will help you

Date: December 18, 2006 05:12PM

dont be afraid to use gator glass blanks due to the ugly factory finish the blanks come out looking great and there are many custom commercial outfits that use there blanks

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 18, 2006 07:26PM

Matthew and Jon, Thanks for responding. But taking my ability to feel the bite of a Wahoo (which we don't have too many up here in Alaska) out of the discussion, not all fish consistently hit a lure/bait/attractor hard. Detecting a soft bite and achieving a successful hook set on 100 pound plus Halibut at 60 to 300 foot depths, many times means the difference between bragging rights or going home empty-handed. Even with some of the saltwater rods that I do use which are rated in the 80-100 pd class, I would not dismiss sensitivity as an important aspect of a rods performance, and would certainly rate performance well above asthetics. Although my rods might not be as pretty, they perform as intended, and they certainly appear to be durable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2006 07:38PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (128.163.110.---)
Date: December 19, 2006 01:42PM

well you guys throw off on the gator blanks...i think they look cool and a little more rugged where the blank is un finished...a little shabby chic. And the work great for saltwater...Can't beat em for the price.

Date: December 19, 2006 06:51PM

ahh yeah i feel you on that patrick that post was more of me thinking to myself haha...everytime ive been nailed by a wahoo you missin about 200 yards of line in a couple seconds :D

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster