I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Presentation
Posted by: James Goughnour (---.payson.az.npgco.com)
Date: December 13, 2006 05:30PM

I have been asked by our local bait store to give a talk on custom rod building at a small "outdoor show" in our town. Every year customers bring outdoor equipment, set up tables and have a garage sale, there is food and several experts discussing different topics. Its an informal format and I've been asked to keep the talk to 20-30 minutes I think the audience will be about 30-50 people. Does anyone have a presentation or ideas on the best topics to cover?

Thank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Presentation
Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2006 05:38PM

If you got only 20-30 minutes, you are very limited, so I would explain why to get a custom rod and not one of the shelf, fisrt chapter in Clemens his book.
Best Regards Mark Crouse-The Munich Rod Man

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 05:41PM

Don't drink a lot the night before. I learned that at the Mudhole open house for a basic rod building seminar

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2006 05:46PM

I think most fishermen are pretty interested in learning about the proper terms and what they mean - action, power, speed, etc. along with some education on how to properly use a rod to fight a fish. Then a brief run down on how blanks and rods are made and the little things that can be done to fine tune them to the individual. You don't want to spend all your time trying to sell yourself or custom rods, rather, spend your time educating the fishermen on how rods are made, how to use them and then add in that extra bit about what else can be done to make rods even better.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 06:53PM

A simple demo patterned off the Rodmaker Article on breaking rods would do everyone a big favor.
Tip Pressure by pinching, high sticking, high grapping, proper landing technique

I have an old fiber glass solid blank the will bend double and show how this can not be done with a modern day graphite blank.

When you ask someone if a graphite blank is bent until it breaks what happens? - they go blank!

They are astounded when they discover that the bottom of the thing crushes - by going oval -

Fit up grip, seat and blank with arbor and show how to place on curve of blank.Put together the components.

If you decide to do any kind of wrapping - do it on a four inch piece of PVC with rope so everyone can see.
Mark Crouse's demo of a simple chevron amazes all who see it happen right in front of their eyes.

Enjoy yourself this will be a lot of fun.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Aaron Smith (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 07:40PM

Since I would consider attending something like that at a small outdoor show, I second what Mr. Kirkman said. Describing how the rod works, different actions, etc.. would be at least enlightening. Tell me the difference between off the shelf and custom, or better yet, SHOW me the difference if thats possible.

A Smith

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 08:23PM

Tell them all to buy Tom's book :o)...and then to prepare their spouse for the addition of a line item in the household budget!!! Merry Christmas!

Paul

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 09:27PM

I'd set up a rough demo (parts already ready and fitted) on creating a custom rod and after the demo, explain the whys of how much better a custom really is. Nothing makes a bunch of eyes stare more than showing how it's done/works, it keeps up intrest as you build/show. Have parts for everyone to pass around to show the insides of the reel seat as well.

DR

Posted by: Danny Bui (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 14, 2006 12:24AM

Scott Y ,are you the one that do the rodbuilding semilar at Mudhole ?i'm the one with the camera phone.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 01:44AM

I have presented demos at a couple of Farmer's Markets in my county. The format is different in that I am there for three hours while people come and go as they please. Occasionally some will stay a half hour or more. I found most people were pleased to learn the true meaning of terms as Tom suggested; Action and Power being the most helpful. I always brought a Bumper Wrapped rod to show. This is something that the public will benefit from seeing and having the benefits explained. If you can bring a conventional and Spiral wrap version for comparison it's even easier to prove the superiority of the Spiral rod.

I make sure to explain the benefits of custom rods; proper guide placement, why added weight is the bane of rod performance; how to properly care for a rod, cleaning; high sticking and other dangers; and of course; answering questions.

In a limited time frame as yours actual demos of work are not practical. You'll not be able to complete any but the simplest task while talking and there are so many more important things to teach.

I bring many items to show. Fly rod reel seats, a hand wrapper or power wrapper to briefly show how guides are attached; grips, loose cork rings, glued up rings, shaped grips, etc.

Your limited time window dictates that you maintain the flow of your presentation. I suggest following a well thought out list of topics. Leave questions for the end.. if they permit you extra time. Random questions will derail an informative demo.

With a copy of Tom K's "Guide to Rod-Building on the table along with various rod parts:

Here's a guildeline I'd use:

- Action... Flex a rod or blank to show the difference between Fast, Medium and Slow.
- Power... Show blanks or rods of various power.
- Custom = precision guide placement, solid construction, incredible variety of options, fancy wraps, decals, grip materials, etc.
- Dangers of High Sticking; Boat lockers
- Spiral Wrap
- Rodbuilding on a budget.. a great hobby for man and child (Hand Wrapper in a box, discounted blanks,
- Why some blanks cost $20 and others cost $200
- Importance of cleaning rods and reels

To cover all that in 30 minutes you will have to stay focused. You are presenting a visual menu as opposed to a meal. A reasonable goal is to spark interest in Custom Rods and rod building as opposed to providing much specific instruction. It's similar to a fishing expedition; your success will be in the number of folks who will seek more info on their own. Bring your business card. Make yourself available for private conversations after.

The main thing is to enjoy the demo. Enthusiasm is the greatest attractant. Too much detailed info will clog most minds. Keep it simple and you will do well.

You'll do great.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 06:39AM

Jim, I did a 1 hour presentation last winter for our local web page group on some of the very same topics listed above, I have a five page outline in EXCEL I can send you to give you some thoughts on content. Let me know your e-mail address so I can send it if you want.

rayzct@cox.net

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 14, 2006 09:28AM

Danny that was me with the basic seminar at Mudhole. I remember you with the camera phone. I put together a tutorial on how to do those trim bands I was showing you if you are interested e-mail me at Pikapp122@Hotmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster