I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any DOWN side to match guides?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 01:33PM

Just wondering when you would NOT use them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any DOWN side to match guides?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 03:55PM

tuna rods

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 04:08PM

Assuming diligent care of the rod, how heavy a line would you use w/ the "match" guides?

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 04:18PM

It'd be more of a matter of line diameter with relation to the ring sizes. I'd say on the light float rods that normally carry match guides, 8 lb would be as high as you'd wanna go.

The high standoff and finer wire means they can't take as much of a beating as regular single foot guides, so I probably wouldn't use them on a rod that may see hard knocks and rough treatment.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 11:29PM

We build an 11' surf rod based on the Predator series. We generally use a double-foot for the stripper and the next two guides (50mm, 40mm, and either another 40mm or a 30mm) and everything else are single-foot guides. We use underwraps on the dbl-foot guides and extended (locking) wraps on the single-foot ones. So, we break a matched set.

We came up with this design to provide a more flexible rod that still has the strength in the butt area, and a bit more flexibility at the top, plus a reduction in weight in the top half. This design has landed some nice big fish, including a five-ft blacktip.

We will also mix guide styles on other designs depending on what the customer wants. No harm done. It works.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 04:29PM

High frame "match guides" on float rods is used to keep the line off the blank. Generally the rings are smaller because of the small diameter lines used by match men. They are also used to keep the a wet line from sticking to a blank. Thanks to all of the replys I got about the fuji match guides I found a set of Hopkins & Holloway SENYO match guides that I'd like to use on a future rod.

As for heavy duty use they can be used (is steelhead fishing considered heav duty???). On one float rod that I use for steelhead I have size 5 ringed Pac Bay high frames and I haven't broken one yet. I have however broken those same guides on other float rods and friends I know have too. Especially if they are wrapped as a tip top.

Depending on your application I would say it all depends. Great Lakes steel I would say yes.

Hope this hepls

Randy

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 06:51PM

Match guides are pretty high so I rarely use one larger than a 20 ring, but I also use 2500 and smaller reels with them usually. I think exceeding 10 lb limp line would be a problem. Haven't really experimented with heavier lines, bigger guides, or how the small tip guides would work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster