I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
tru-oil notice
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 02:19PM

i was a walmart to get some tru-oil. there was none on the shelf and no place for it. i asked the clerk as i usually buy it at walmart. he said he only had two bottles left and doesnt expect to carry this anymore. i grabbed the two bottles. i know tru-oil can be found other places, but if walmart stops carrying it others may as well. just wanted to let the word out .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tru-oil notice
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 03:09PM

You can order it from Bass Pro Shops.

Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (204.134.52.---)
Date: December 11, 2006 03:18PM

Golden Witch

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 03:31PM

Tru-Oil isn't going anywhere I dont believe. It's a Birtchwood Casey Product thats been aroiund for many years.....I hope I'm right LOL

DR

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 04:08PM

i dont believe that tru-oil is going out of business and wasnt trying to give that impression. i just wanted to pass along it may not be available at walmart any longer. it is just convenient to pick it up there.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 04:30PM

Thanks for the update John. Atleast soon I will have a Cabelas about 2 miles away and A mega Bass Pro about 15 miles away to find it.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 09:04PM

I noted that the local Walmart here no longer carries it. They do have other BCasey products. Next time I am by a Bass Pro Shop I am going to buy some. I do have enough to last me a few more months.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 01:04AM

I wonder how many requests for Tru Oil it would take to persuade WalMart to continue carrrying the product.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 02:22AM

I am sure it is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 's !

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 06:09AM

Our local Wally world just remodeled and rearranged.In the process they dropped many brands to reduce the number of choises for a peticular item but increased the number of products they now carry.Just another way to make money.The few rod builders and hunters thay buy the true oil is not enough to support its stocking the product.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2006 09:02AM

According to recent announcements the company made, Wal-Mart is dropping their hunting and shooting departments from many stores to focus on lines that sell better. The fishing departments in some stores will also be dropped.

I'm sure it is "all about the money" since this is the reason they're in business.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 12, 2006 09:30AM

Sort of getting off-topic here but it would be sort of ironic if Wal-Mart stopped carrying fishing and hunting gear in my town, since they are now the only store in town that does sell those things, after running the family owned hunting/fishing stores out of business about a decade ago. I guess that might open up the door for another small business owner ... funny how things work in the business world ... and glad I'm not part of it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:22AM

Wallmart made an announcement in June about their inability to get expected price concessions from their Eastern Rim suppliers of fishing equipment. The announcement said the Mega Stores would drop their special in store area counter for sporting goods. An off the wall comment about warranty returns clouding the profit margins was also noted. In my area of a mid sized city, Baton Rouge, Wallmart dropping out and Bass Pro and Cabellas expecting to open next year will present new challenges for the custom rod business.

Date: December 12, 2006 11:35AM

Steve,

I guess we shouldn't get on the topic of business practices here, but Wal-Mart didn't run the family owned businesses out - the consumers that purchased goods at Wal-Mart did.

We often hear how much folks value service, but in the majority of cases, price is king. It is the American consumer that has driven these local businesses out by choosing lower prices, or the illusion of lower prices, over service and the resulting benefit to the local community that shopping with local business owners usually brings.

The American consumer has always been in the drivers seat when it comes to price, service, selection, etc.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 12:27PM

Tom, you may be right in the fact the American consumer has the final vote, but when Wal-mart sells a product for less than I can buy directly from the laboratory, and I find that they are selling it at their cost as a loss leader, the deck is squarely stacked against the smaller business.

Date: December 12, 2006 01:21PM

Only if the consumer decides to support that type of business, in spite of the long term consequences. Wal-Mart can't sell anything if folks refuse to buy from them. But as in so many things, even those who lament the loss of jobs here, tend to sell themselves to the lowest bidder. Everybody wants something for less and Wal-Mart has taken advantage of that mindset. The guy who put the local businesses under, and sent jobs overseas, is the guy in the mirror.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 01:27PM

Amen, Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody made us dump the local guys!! The money we "think" we're saving just comes back to bite us later. We 100% control the market place. We vote with our dollars!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2006 01:29PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: December 12, 2006 02:56PM

This is a debate that has no end. You would have to live in a small town of, say, less than 15k -22k in a rural area to see what havoc Wal-Mart does to local retailers. I don't give a damn what Wal-Mart carries, I don't shop there. Period, end of story.

Mike

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 04:33PM

Mike,

If most of the resident' followed your example and didn't shop there, Nothing would happen to the local retailers

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 08:34PM

I checked at my local Wal-Mart today and they no longer stock Tru-Oil. A local firing range/gun store does still have it in stock - so that's another place to check for Tru-Oil.

Stan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster