I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Saltwater Live Bait Blanks
Posted by: Walter Schmidt (---.doh.state.fl.us)
Date: December 11, 2006 10:51AM

Does anyone have any input as how these blanks (RCLB70XL) might perform as a live bait for Kingfish here in Florida, I see the 10-25 has an extra light power rating, and I don't know how that would work with a 40 pound king ripping off line, I really like the other specs for drifting live bait, but the power rating seems not to match the type of fishing I do, any suggestions?

Smitty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2006 11:07AM by Walter Schmidt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Saltwater Live Bait Blanks
Posted by: James Wang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 11:36AM

Walter,

Picked up XL recently but have yet to build. Feels very much like a Calstar 700XL in the store. Perhaps, modelled after Calstar's line up?

James

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 11, 2006 01:35PM

I've been very happy with the Seeker CLB704 for live bait kingfishing and the blank you mentioned sounds like a duplicate of this only at a fraction of the price. Remeber that the rating is a LINE rating not expected fish weight rating. There is no reason why you couldn't land a 40lb king on that blank. I have a few times on the 704.

Posted by: Nick Brunetti (---.miatflad.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 05:46PM

Personally I like to use medium action blanks for Kingfishing. Kings have pretty soft mouths and when they decide to unexpectedly run and rocket I like to have the rod absorb that run, rather than pull the hooks. I guess a fast action blank would work as long as it weren't over powered (which is the case with the 70XL). However, I think that a 10-25# rating might be a little light. If you're looking to tourney fish I would say no but if you're looking to be "sportsman" like, than go for it!

I've built my kingfish rods with Seeker SB807. Very happy with them. I am assuming you are going to be drifting these live baits and not trolling them, right? If you are going to troll live baits then the RCLB70XL will not work - it's just too light.

By the way, where in FL are you? ...or are you just going to fish in FL?

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 07:34PM

I'm here in St. Petersburg, I've mostly always fished kings with trolling daisy chain rigs with a skirted horse ballyhoo on the East Coast, and caught quite a few VERY large kings, but it seems that everyone over here says that BIG kings only eat BiG live bait, so I guess they hang out in different schools here. I'm going to propably step up to the next size up and try the RCLB70L 15-30. I'm a big Rainshadow/Forecast fan having used them for everything from trout to grouper to sailfish and tarpon. If they have something that will work, I'll use it!!!!

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 08:01PM

Walter, In the early eighties I was lucky to live in the area and fish with the guys that started the whole slow trolling live bait for king mackerel thing. We fished a bunch of tournements all up and down the southern coastal United States and never once used a rod with more than 12 pound test line. Back then it was not uncommon to catch a king in the upper 50's or 60 pounds or more. My largest king was caught on 12 pound test and weighed in at 73 pounds. My largest on a fly rod is 33 pounds on a 6 wt. with 8 lb test class tippet. Build yourself that Rainshadow blank, put a nice reel on it and go have a ball. Don't worry about it being too light it'll handle any king mackerel swimming.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 12, 2006 10:16AM

Walter

I'm in the Madeira Beach area. I didn't realize there were builders on here so close.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:23AM

To me the fast actoin blank is exactly what you want in a live-bait king mack rod. You have the light tip for natural bait presentation (slow trolling). The soft top section also helps you go easy on the fish after hook up. Remember, you'll be using very small hooks. I know guys that use no more than 2 pounds of drag...and yes these are tournament fishermen. Like Michael said, many will use lines under 20#. You don't need a 15-30# rod for that. If you can get that 10-25# blank, then that should be perfect for what you're looking to do.

The thing about most fast action live-bait blanks is they have that soft tip for the dellicate work, but generally have strong butt sections to bring the fish in when needed.

Best of luck.

Jay

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: December 17, 2020 02:03PM

I have never used heavier than 14 pound test for kings. Light drag and lots of open water. No real need for heavier line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster