I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I almost feel like a traitor........
Posted by: Luis Morales (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: November 21, 2006 11:41PM

........but I would be cheating my self out of a learning experience by not trying a different companies blank. Looking to build a 7'6" popping blank and a 6'-6'6" ultra light this winter. I'm too unfamiliar with all the companies out there to say that I want to upgrade from the only supplier I've used(RX7), if that's even a fair statement. I'm considering CTS, Lami XMG, St. Croix SCV and/or Loomis IMX/GL3. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on these and their (in my most unsarcastic voice) superiority.

You know working with my hands up to 14 hours a day I can definately appreciate the difference between say, a high carbon, Japanese sushi knife and a stainless German slicer. In general the former feels more balanced, sharpens and slices a lot easier, and most importantly, it holds an edge longer. Of course it costs a few more bucks but it makes the work more enjoyable and the product looks better. So sometimes I don't mind spending a few extra.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Luis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I almost feel like a traitor........
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 12:49AM

There is no such thing as "disloyalty" amongst the products we all use. Everyone has their favorites in each piece of equipment or item of supply. But no one item can satisfy all the requirements of all our customers, and that's why there are so many choices, like in rods. And yes, some are worth more than others in terms of quality, and yes, some are just overpriced. It pretty much takes just a bit of experience to determine which is which.

That leads to your question, which really can't be answered except in terms of what each of us had experienced. Believe it or not, your specifications are too general to give us enough detauil to make definitive recommendations between one brand of rod or another, much less one model within a maker's various lines or rods. But the brands you mentioned are all top-of-the-line, at least on price.

Tell us more, and we can maybe do more for you.

Uncle Russ

MANY that fit your criteria
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.159.88.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 06:40AM

Luis,

Personally, for jigging and popping, my favorite blanks have been G. Loomis and Rogue. The reason is they have power down low, a fast taper and they are very sensitive and light in the hands. The down side is they are $$$.

But I am primarily a casting and jigging kind of fisherman in light saltwater applications, so this may not help you.

-TH

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 08:51AM

Luis,
If you'll email me directly, I'll put you in contact with some of the folks who can give you reviews on the CTS product directly. Specifically the popping/hot-shot style blanks that I have developed for them.

By the way, where are you located at?

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing
andy@lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2006 09:23AM

Another thing to keep in mind, is that each company has some real gems in their lines, and each company has a few dogs as well. It's more than likely that you'll find the best blank for each application won't come from the same company.

There will be well over 10,000 rod blanks on display at the 2007 International Custom Rod Building Exposition. If you can make it, this will be a great opportunity for you to do your own "feel" tests. Nothing like being able to actually handle all the different makes and models.

Posted by: Luis Morales (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 01:11PM

The popping blank is for Spring striper schoolies in Boston Harbor, from the beach and rivers. About a 12 ounce reel, 8# mono or 14# Fireline with a light drag, 1/4 -5-8 lures; shallow swimmers (crystal minnow), storm shads, small tins, top water and lipless cranks. Actually two of my river spots only produce with small top waters, so maybe two styles of blanks would be more appropriate....???

The ultra light would be for creek and river trout, 7 ounce reel, 4-6 mono, up to 1/4-3-8 oz. lures, small kastmasters, panther martins and mepps.

I wish I could make the Rod Building Expo but I just started a new job which will have me local until Spring.

Thanks Again

Luis

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 02:09PM

Take a look at the G Loomis HS9000 - originally built as a "HotShot" rod for Salmon in the NW, it does wonders for what you are describing. The blank is available as a 1 or 2 piece GL3 and as a 1 piece IMX.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:02AM

Luis, look at the St Croix in the SCIII lineup or the SCIV, or the SCV" they are great. They are a little higher modulus, but in my opinion, a good comparable rod. I too build a lot of RX7 , blanks and the customers really like them. I just like to use other blanks and colors. But in either case the warranties on both companies are excellent. I also like the pac bay blanks, I have built a few lamiglas blanks, all good, but tend to be heavier in overall weight. The main thing, is that I try to buy from the sponsors that help keep this and other boards going. If American made all the better. But that is getting harder and harder to find each year. If you are on a budget, don"t overlook the forecast lineup, or the tiger eye blanks. I can't think of a bad blank out there. Only the prices. Just a word of advise, stay away from the online --bay sales, you never know what to expect. Another thing is watch for the sales, out there, the sponsors always seem to have something on special! They know the business and are very willing to help. Don't over look the kits either, these are usually matched components, sometimes these are really a good buy.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:02AM

Luis, look at the St Croix in the SCIII lineup or the SCIV, or the SCV" they are great. They are a little higher modulus, but in my opinion, a good comparable rod. I too build a lot of RX7 , blanks and the customers really like them. I just like to use other blanks and colors. But in either case the warranties on both companies are excellent. I also like the pac bay blanks, I have built a few lamiglas blanks, all good, but tend to be heavier in overall weight. The main thing, is that I try to buy from the sponsors that help keep this and other boards going. If American made all the better. But that is getting harder and harder to find each year. If you are on a budget, don"t overlook the forecast lineup, or the tiger eye blanks. I can't think of a bad blank out there. Only the prices. Just a word of advise, stay away from the online --bay sales, you never know what to expect. Another thing is watch for the sales, out there, the sponsors always seem to have something on special! They know the business and are very willing to help. Don't over look the kits either, these are usually matched components, sometimes these are really a good buy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster