I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Color Preserver
Posted by: Brad Hetzel (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 11:43AM

I have a question if Color Preserver is required before finishing. I use Gudebrod NCP thread, and I have noticed that some of my guide wraps that I have done looked like they retained some of the CP. And after finishing they looked cloudy.
Is this something that happens if you misuse the CP? Can you put too many coats of CP on? I have read that some people recommend 5 or 6 coats of CP before finish.

Thanks for all replys
Brad Hetzel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Color Preserver
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 12:04PM

First off with NCP thread, you do not need to use color preserve. It is only needed on other threads to keep their color, if you want to use it.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 01:03PM

Hi Brad. I would GUESS it is more a problem of not letting the CP dry completely first or maybe too much moisture in the air. I am one of those dummies who uses CP until the threads are almost filled. I dont think I have a cloudy finish problem. You can check out some of my pictures in the gallery. I usually allow 4 to 6 hours between coats in a nice dry room(so. Cal is not known for cold and wet) I use Flex Coat but have used others with the similar results. What Mike is saying is true about NCP and also metallics. I also think CP can help keep the bubbles under control.

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.s129.apx2.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 03:36PM

I agree Doc. It has always been my impression that CP is needed on NCP thread, not for color rentention, but to release bubbles. Something in the manufacture of NCP introduces lots of bubbles if you just apply finish directly to it. John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2006 04:01PM

Just 1 good wet coat is all you'd every need. Use 2 if you feel the urge. But 5 or 6 is not at all necessary.

Posted by: Nick Brunetti (---.miatflad.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 17, 2006 07:09PM

I think the more coats you use the more your wraps will look like CP. You have to figure that after a while your threads have to be suuficiently "soaked" in CP, after that the CP is just building up around the outside of the threads.
As far as 5-6 coats.....It would depend 1) if you are thinning the CP with alcohol 2) how thick each application is and 3) what kind/size thread are we talking about (ie: a wrap on a #6 fly guide or a diamond wrap on a saltwater trolling rod)
I too have done exactly what you're describing. I suudenly disliked CP. After some experimentation, I finally switched to Flex Coat CP. I found that it gave me the most predictable results. And as I'm sure you know, there is nothing more reassuring than predictable results when it comes to brushing something onto your time consuming wraps.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 18, 2006 10:08AM

My rule of thumb is, if when it is dry it your wraps look like a glazed donut, you have enough cp on them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster