I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grips
Posted by: Robert Gilbertson (---.lew.dialup.fsr.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 09:27AM

While reading the post below from Brad Hetzel about loose EVA grips and the solutions that each of you offered I got to thinking about bicycle grips. A number of years ago my son worked in a bicycle shop where I purchased a pair of rubber grips to put on my bicycle. The instructions that came with the grips (which I read) said to use liquid soap to install the grips on the handle bars. The soap is a lubricant and within twenty four hours the soap would dry and the grips would not move even if they got wet. Has anyone ever tried liquid soap to install EVA grips on a rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grips
Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.ccz-ncr.navy.mil)
Date: October 20, 2006 09:42AM

Shaving cream is supposed to be another one but I never tried. I bet that the soap would work as a lubricant but not as an adhesive.

Posted by: Grant King (---.stcd.qwest.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 09:52AM

Would golf grip tape with solvent on the grip work? Just a thought? G

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: October 20, 2006 10:21AM

From demos I have seen putting EVA grips on, as long as you have the epoxy started on the blank well above where the handle is going to be located, you will end up with epoxy completely under the grip. The thing I noticed was to make sure the hole size in the grip was correct so it would stretch some when the handle is in its final position.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 12:49PM

Some folk even use compressed air to stretch the grip into place. When the air is turned off the grip stays put.

To answer your question, yes many things can be used to get an eva grip in place with success.

Jay

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 07:53AM

Elmers Glue also works nicely as a lubricant. It comes back of easily and even if it dries a little, will come off with a little water applied to a rag or sponge. It's always worked great for me, and a bottle of Elmers, or a generic brand costs very little. I picked a whole bunch at Staples during the back to school sale for $.25/ bottle. 4oz

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle
866-285-0673

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster